Author Topic: What pants do you prefer?  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
What pants do you prefer?
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
Ive not had the best luck with "tactical" pants. Im trying to find a decently priced pair of pants thats durable and comfortable. A pair of pants you can wear for weeks and know they will hold up. Ive tried both 5.11 and Blackhawk pants. Blackhawk are very tough but im not a fan of the pocket configuration or cost. If I cant find anything better I might just get more 5.11. Please dont recommend military fatigues. Ive never found a pair that could survive the amazing powers of my crotch. They rip every time. Plus the buttons rip off in 2 seconds.

Any help is appreciated.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: What pants do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Have heard good things about Kitanica, though pricey.

1000meterstare

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »
Wrangler Cargo Pants, Dude!'

1000meterstare

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
I have several pair and love them.  Can carry stuff in the pockets at work and they are thicker than a lot of brands which helps at 20 below.  Seem to last, too.  Even with a lot of abuse and washings.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
The only ones I have found to last a reasonable amount of time are carhartt double front canvas pants. $40 retail, maby $30 on Ebay.

brat

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:41:53 AM »
I've tried others and keep coming back to 5.11. They cost more, but I wear them everyday and have four pair that are over four years old. Only problem I've had is two of the four year old pairs have holes wearing into the outer layer of the double knee. Have held up well doing farm chores.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
My suggestions in order of satisfaction:

1) Duluth Trading Company
    also I buy all of my t-shirts from these guys - No exception their 100% cotton long tail t-shirt is the BEST I have ever purchased. I have some that
    are 5 years old and still going strong.
2) Carhartt
3) 5.11 Tactical O-Kay, I hate their customer service and that they list
    the contents of the shipping box on the outside; However, their pants are great!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:27:11 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Ill research all of these and decide.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »

also I buy all of my t-shirts from these guys - No exception their 100% cotton long tail t-shirt is the BEST I have ever purchased. I have some that

Amen...I have some of their firehose pants and you couldn't destroy them if you tried. FYI—I have worn them while cutting back brush in a swampy area on my property in Florida on many summer afternoons without overheating.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:11:43 AM »
Favorite "Tactical" pants: Vertx Phantom OPS Pants Stunning quality.
Favorite day to day pants: Wrangler's Riggs Work Wear, Rip Stop. Also the one's without the cargo pockets are nice.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Wrangler Cargo pants, rip stop, FTW
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
I've been thinking about this a for a while now and the problem with crotch tearing is from your pants riding down on you. Try some suspenders.

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and say Bernies Double Front loggers pants are the toughest I've ever owned. I'm sporting Keys ripstop nylon pants this summer and they are holding their own.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
TG, yupper. Suspenders are hard to beat especially if you are carrying a three pound 1911 on your hip and a double mag pouch on the other.

My neighbor in RI is now sporting suspenders. He was bummed that he hadn't tried them years ago.  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Cant go wrong with Carharts.  They hold up to a metric ton of abuse.  On the full "tactical" end go with Crye Precision. Ive worn them through 4 and 5 day classes getting just beat down and they hold up well.  My brother currently wears then on deployment due to how well they hold up.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »
Ken, did you ever decide on a pant?

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Not yet. I'm kind of short on cash so im just soaking up the opinions for now. Much appreciated guys.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 06:03:27 AM »
After reading this thread, I bought a pair of Duluth trading firehose pants and so far they have blown my Carhart canvas pants away in terms of flexibility, weight, and comfort. I will now see how durable they are over the test of time.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 07:11:24 AM »
By far, Duluth has quality men's wear. I love their no-crack pocket tee's. I have on a pair of fire hose shorts as I type.

I have three pairs of these shorts that are 5 or 6 years old and still going strong.

Duluth Trading Post = durability!

Burt Gummer

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
Love their advertizing!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
My Key's are still holding their own aside from the button popping off the first time I put them on.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
This thread is a few years old but I'm looking for new pants to replace my levis 501.

How to the duluth compare for fit and sizing?

We have a duluth store but its 3 hours away, one way so I'd like to order online if possible. Maybe I'll take the drive just to get familiar with the products....
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »
Isn't Levi the company giving a million to gun control groups and prohibit carry in their stores?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »
As far as jeans go, I ditched Levis for $15 Wranglers long ago.

BLACKHAWK Pursuit Pants suck!!! Bought a couple for duty work when LAPolicegear dropped the price from $90 to $14 and I still feel ripped off. It's hard to do anything other than walking. Bending a knee to kneel down ir climb over something is ridiculously difficult, I feel like Hank Hill's father that lost both knees in Korea.

I can't imagine a police officer maintaining a foot chase wearing them. He'd be better off buying a bunch when LAPG has another clearance sale and giving them to gangmembers on his beat as X-mas presents. :lmfao:
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »
Isn't Levi the company giving a million to gun control groups and prohibit carry in their stores?

Nemo

I was raised wearing levis and I won't go back since they made that announcement.
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »

2) Carhartt
3) 5.11 Tactical O-Kay, I hate their customer service and that they list
    the contents of the shipping box on the outside; However, their pants are great!

I too have switched to Duluth trading for my hard-wear pants. I bought my first couple of pairs about 10 years ago and they have to go back for replacement - most of the belt loops are tearing out. They changed their fabrics about 5 years ago to something more flexible and heavier in weight. I have a couple of those pairs as well. They all wear pretty well, although even the newer ones I have are showing their age - a couple of holes. Still I recommend them, even though they are pricey. I have had great experiences with their customer service department (I have bought a lot of tools and other items from them as well) and give them high marks there as well with their no bull returns policies.
I bought 1 pair of 5.11 pants many years ago. Wore them a few times, but they spent most of their time in a closet. Then I went to wear them for a day at the range, and found some kind of elastic they sewed into the waistband had turned to dust and got everywhere. I contacted their returns department and was told sorry, not out problem. So I will never support them again!