General Category > Gear Review

The Basics of Setting up Fighting Gear

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave_M:

--- Quote from: Burt Gummer on September 15, 2011, 05:38:22 PM ---Great post! I take the same approach when it comes to my pistol belt (photo coming soon) but do take some issue with the comfort vs. speed point. If I would place my entire combat load of magazines on my non dominant side I would be drastically off balance. although I might be faster at reloading I would not be faster at maneuvering from place to place. so it's all relative.

--- End quote ---

I mentioned center-setups with this tidbit:

--- Quote ---Having your rifle mag pouches centered is OK so long as you practice moving your magazines (when time allows) from the right-to-left, since you should be drawing magazines from left-to-right. Your next magazine draw should always be in the same place if at all possible.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Currahee on September 15, 2011, 08:00:10 PM ---More mags or armor are not a trade off for being able to move fast.
--- End quote ---

Everything is a compromise. We're always balancing weight, mobility, and capability. Judgements have to be made on every piece of kit in this fashion. This goes from packs to pistols to rifles to food to everything. Everyone has their own limit of what is acceptable. For example: For me personally, I accept the weight gain and mobility loss when utilizing ESAPI plates but I don't when side-plates and arm covers come into play (at least as far as dismounted troops--in the turret, another story). The protection gained isn't worth it when hefted against the increase in weight and loss of mobility IMO. As technology improves and ballistic protection gets lighter and slimmer, maybe I won't consider side plates a hindrance (Not that very many of us get a choice of what ballistic protection to wear in the first place).

Lighter is always better, assuming that everything else is the same. If they aren't, that's what you need to play the balancing act and figure out what you find acceptable or not.

Another example (which doesn't apply to most people here but it's a valid analogy) Not many Marines would give up a M203 (which makes everything much heavier, especially when you include the launcher and the ammo) just to save on weight. Why not? Well, for two reasons:
1) It's a force multiplier, despite the added weight
2) It looks cool to have one  :))

So, for you, more mags and armor isn't worth it. For me, it totally is. I do have a low-pro rig as well, of course. I tend to carry more magazines than most other people I know because I've been cut off with one other dude and stuck someplace before. I went through more magazines in 10 minutes than I see people have on most rigs. Being intellectually honest, it was an extreme situation during a direct military conflict against a [semi] trained foe. But, I truly believe the adage:
"The less men on your left and right, the more mags you'll need in a fire fight."

It should be obvious that you should di di mao if you get into an engagement. I'm just saying that you might not always have that option (I didn't at the time).

In regards to your point about wearing gear, I agree. When teaching a class, I know almost immediately who was former military and who wasn't simply by the way they carry themselves when they have a rifle strapped to them. Students wear their rifles and their gear all day (unless the entire class consists of military men). They don't take it off during breaks, to eat etcetera. This gets them used to being comfortable in gear all day and it also helps highlight problems and nuances with their setups. To the guys that like single point slings, this usually converts them (I also recommend trying to climb a fence or a ladder or negotiate other obstacles wearing gear + rifle)

Erick:
Great Thread.

Too bad the pics no longer load.
I am assembling a new battelbelt rig.
I will post when done :)

JohnyMac:
Cool Erick  :thumbsUp:

Nemo:
Glad you all added to this.  So I could find it.

Nemo

SemperParatus:
I have developed a modular system for my tactical gear.  First up is the light war belt which consists of a high ride thigh holster and one spare magazine, I carry another spare pistol magazine on the weak side. This belt is worn most often on the retreat property as a means of defense if needed and a means of fighting to the rifle which is never that far away.  I also carry one spare AR-15 magazine on each side of the belt, a multi-tool and fixed bladed knife.  I have a plate carrier that is used for property patrols and short area recon. the plate carrier holds 4-AR-15 magazines, 2 in single pouches and 2 in a double pouch.  It also has a 2 spare pistol magazines, radio pouch, blow out kit & TK and small admin kit. The plater carrier has front and back level-4 ceramic stand alone plates that are rated for multiple hit 308 penetrator and side plates as well.  I also have a Blackhawk armored vest which is level 3 soft armor as well as level 4 plates front and back.  The idea of the unit is for when you are more static and as such carries more gear.  The Blackhawk vest carries a total of 8 AR-15 mage and 2 pistol mags, radio pouch, blow out kit and admin kit.  I have also put together a long range patrol rig which is a vest type system with an attached belt system.  The system carries 6 AR-15 mags and 2 pistol mags, blow out kit, radio pouch, admin kit, two canteens, fixed bladed knife and multi-tool.  I have three packs set up, one for short patrols up two 24 hours, another for longer partols up to 36 hours and then the Mother Of All Packs,  which some people call the "I am never coming home pack."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version