Author Topic: Tech's outdoor clothing/gear review thread- (feel free to share your own)  (Read 3201 times)

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
SP usually isn't the place I post my reviews. I'm gonna start this thread here though,
I feel like it may be useful to a number of people. Not everyone, but someone.

I spend a good amount of time in the great outdoors. I enjoy hunting, hiking, camping, fishing or just an extended stay
doing all of the aforementioned and honing my survival skills. Places like REI exist because as much as I love jeans in my day to day life- Jeans aren't the most comfortable, flexible or fastest to dry in a outdoor survival situation.

I'm not gonna ramble, outdoor clothing can get expensive. Shop smart. REI usually has several clearance racks in all of their
departments. I find a lot of great stuff on clearance, sometimes 50% or more off MSRP. again, shop smart.

Marmot- Scree Pant

I'll start with the features of these pants that I find useful.

The inside of the pant is more of a warm, woven feeling. The exterior is smooth and flexible.
Marmot calls it  a"M3 softshell". It's listed as 90% nylon, 10% elastane. The material is water resistant, breathable and
abrasion resistant. It's recommended use is high aerobic in mild conditions.

All pockets are zippered and that's one of my favorite features. All items remain secure no matter your activity.
There are 4 pockets on these pants. (2) front hand pockets, (1) rear wallet pocket and (1) right side cargo pocket.

The waistline has an elastic band. I like this because it has allowed me to accommodate a host of inside the waistband
holsters and or magazine pouches- everything from my Compact M&P Shield, my Fullsized M&P9 or 1911 with SF light.
Another reason I like the elastic is that you can gain of lose an inch of two without having to purchase new pants.
I have vacuum sealed a pair of these Scree Pants into my 72HR. bag, I can leave them there and not worry about sizing
over a longer period of time.

The knee area is fitted. I like this. Not sure why.

The ankle area has both a zipper and an elastic pull closure. The zipper allows you to take off or put on the pants over
shoes or boots. The elastic closure secures the pants in place over the boot and prevents debris from getting in.
If you were to be in a hotter environment I suppose you could use the elastic to keep them up and around your knees like
shorts.

One of the other things I find useful is the sizing. The pants are sized similar to military type pants
Short-Regular-Tall.

The Marmot Scree pant retails for $110. I found these on the REI clearance rack for $47.
They can be found around the internets in the $50-$60 range.
I own (4) pair total. That's how much I like these pants.

Manufacturer site and additional pant info-
http://marmot.com/products/scree_pant_80620

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:32:13 PM by technique »
Follow me on Instagram - technique408

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Tech's outdoor clothing review thread- (feel free to share your own)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
I love them and i havent even tried them yet lol... Would you recommend these pants for a day in day out, rinse in the creek and repeatadly beat on type of pants? If they are rugged i could totally see me trying a pair out.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
marmot makes great clothes but i wouldn't beat the hell out of them
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
I wear them day to day and I wear them hiking and hunting.
So far so good. I noticed the pair I wore hunting has some stains, but
I was crawling through thick brush and the integrity of the weave and
stitching is intact. I'd say you'd be fine washing them in a river.

I've owned these two pictured pairs above for about 6months.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
I haven't owned any Marmot pants but I own a pair of Scree Gaiters that are the same material as Tech's pants. They are rugged Ken, I've used them this year with shorts in lieu of pant. 

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/TDU-Pants/TDU-Pants-Ripstop.html

Ive owned the same pair of these pants for a couple years... its almost always what i wear on any outing, training, camping, backpacking, fishing etc. It is also the most comfortable pair of pants ive ever worn. Every other pair of pants ive ever worn in a rough environment ive managed to rip the crotch. these are the onlt pants to survive my powerful crotch lol.. and....they show almost no wear... its retarded... i kneal in them in crawl, i do it all... no fucking wear to the fabric. A couple ranch stains and a hole in the cargo pocket where i snagged it with a crank bait and had to cut it out. but no wear. 2 pairs of these and your good for SHTF for atleast a year or two... no joke.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:35:18 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:12:42 PM »
dont get me wrong those pants are rugged but they are not kentactic rugged  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »
Thanks for the review Tech.

Would be very interested in some shoe reviews too. Something good for everyday use and long hikes.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
I haven't owned any Marmot pants but I own a pair of Scree Gaiters that are the same material as Tech's pants. They are rugged Ken, I've used them this year with shorts in lieu of pant.

Man I bet all the ladies that saw you thought "what a catch" shorts gaiters and work boots.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co Dont feel bad I run around in shorts and boots during the summer.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46:47 AM »
Great review, bro!   [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
shorts gaiters and work boots.

I've been rocking the gaiters because this year I started hiking in shoes instead of boots. It's been awesome, they are lighter and still provide all the support I need. The gaiters are only 6" tall and all they do is keep crap out of the top of my shoes.

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
Arc'teryx Naga Hoodie

This is likely the most expensive piece of intermediate wear I will post. I post it, because it is worth it 100 times over.
Everywhere I go someone asks where I got the hoodie. When I post a picture on Facebook and I happen to be wearing
the Naga, I get questions about it.

Arc'teryx has (2) main clothing line types. They have their Outdoor athlete line that is broken down by hobby or activity, and Arc'teryx also has their LEAF (Law Enforcement Armed Forces) line of clothing. The Naga is from their LEAF line.

The Naga is designed to be a midlayer thermal garment or a standalone piece. It is designed to be worn under an Armor Plate Carrier. The chest a midsection are made of a more breathable fabric called Polartec? Power Stretch? fabric, as that is what the armor rides on. The sleeves and hood are built to be a bit more rugged, weather proof and abrasion resistant as they are what is exposed, Arc'teryx calls this Polartec? Power Stretch? with Hardface? technology.

Close up of the Polartec? Power Stretch? fabric

Close up of the Polartec? Power Stretch? with Hardface? technology

The two materials are sewn together in such a way that the seams reduce friction points under body armor.
The stitching itself is a work of art.

The inside of the Naga is soft and micro fleece lined, including the inside of the hood.

Close up of the micro fleece

The breast pocket is a nice feature. Small, but large enough for some Cash or Identification.

The Hood is one of my favorite features on the Naga. It's separate from the collar and is designed to be a snug fit over the head. It was designed this way to be worn while wearing under a helmet. So you can throw your hood on, keep ypur neck and ears nice and warm while wearing a helmet. Sweet!!!

My next favorite feature are the thumb holes. Everyone loves thumb holes. Comes in handy if you're without gloves of doing some type of activity where more dexterity is needed and gloves are not an option, this gives you some warmth.

I've owned the Naga since just before its public release. It has gone hunting, hiking, camping, cycling, shooting/training and more. It was done EXACTLY what it was intended to do. It has kept me both warm and vented excess heat to keep me from over heating. The Naga has not ripped, frayed or stained.

The Arc'teryx Naga Hoodie retails for $199.
Places like REI do not carry the LEAF line that I have seen. You can get the LEAF line from places like GreyGroup Training or Tactical Distributors and they ALWAYS have sales of Arc'teryx goods and you can get some KILLER deals.

I was given one, Free. I have purchased another for $199 and I plan on getting one more.
This is by far the best top I have used in years. It's one of my favorite items.

Arc'teryx LEAF website and additional Naga info:
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Desert/Naga-Hoody

It started to rain while I was taking pics today. I'll see if I can get some pictures in use with armor and with helmet.
Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:17:15 PM by technique »

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the review Tech.

Would be very interested in some shoe reviews too. Something good for everyday use and long hikes.

You Bet!!! I have a pair of Columbia hiking shoes that I've worn for more than a year that I could
do an overview of. I haven't destroyed them yet!

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
That Arc'teryx is some expensive stuff...  I had a gortex jacket one time, it cost me an arm and leg, great jacket, though.

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
Re: Tech's outdoor clothing/gear review thread- (feel free to share your own)
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 02:42:40 AM »
Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. Military Polartec? Power Dry Polar-Weight Hoodie ?

This is another "intermediate layer" top. The Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. Is a moisture wicking material
also highly breathable. Polartec? Power Dry fabric is fairly slick and smooth on the exterior of the garment, this aids in
layering. The hoodie has been "antimicrobial" treated. It's a pretty simple hoodie. Although the Cabela's ECWCS  is meant to be worn tightly and close to the skin, the hood is loosely fit but warm. The sleeves, specifically at the wrist are very tight and
as such do not lend themselves well to being pulled up or worn at the elbows- it is almost impossible to do.
The Cabela's ECWCS has a single large Kangaroo pocket.

Close up of the exterior fabric

The inside of the hoodie is fleece like and extremely soft throughout. It's stitched in such a way that it keeps you warm but also allows venting of excess heat. It's "checker stitched".

Close up of Checker Stitch inside.

Close up of seam stitching.

Other all, I have owned this for about a year. The fit could be better. It's athletic in the arms and chest, but loose around the waist area. I have worn this as a stand alone and as a mid-layer in temperatures ranging from high 20's to 60's, hunting, hiking
shooting and other active activities. It did its job well with the exception of the lower temperatures in wind. I would recommend an additional outer layer for that. It packs small and light. No rips, snags, tears or stains.

I think I paid $70 when they frst came out. Currently they cost $56. They are a great mid-layer at that price and I recommend them. One of the more affordable I've seen that work.

Additional info and styles here:
http://www.cabelas.com/mens-polarweight-base-layer-tops-cabelas-e-c-w-c-s-military-polartec-power-dry-polar-weight-hoodie-150-regular.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03199144&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=6423A3E7-C37D-E011-97DC-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=43600812071&mr:ad=19135902191&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:adType=pla