Author Topic: Squad Comms  (Read 1365 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Squad Comms
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
Okie dokie...

I have a few extra bucks and I thought I would purchase a set of noise canceling head phones with voice capable mic for a Kenwood connection. Boy is that a mouth full....

When I was at the 2018 Shot-show I stopped by the 3M-Peltor booth and got the treated like royalty with a full demo.

So, what I am looking for is ear canceling earphones for gun fire, (And when MrsMac claims I forgot her B-Day) and the ability to hear my VHF radio AND using a mic to transmit with a Kenwood connection to my radio.

Thoughts?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Squad Comms
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:17:44 PM »
As far as the comms part, I cannot add info.  But if you want good muffs cheap, I really like these.  And they work Well.

Nemo

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mpow+%5BUpgraded%5D+Noise+Reduction+Safety+Ear+Muffs%2C+Adjustable+SNR+36dB+Shooting&ref=nb_sb_noss
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:23:38 PM »
   I've got a couple of pairs of  Howard Leight noise canceling headsets which have an audio port so I can directly plug into pretty much any of my radios.  The mic is a separate cable.  I do have a headset for kenwood radios, but it's one of the one ear tactical headsets, and I use a foam plug in the open ear.  The nice thing about the Howard Leight headset is it can amplify sounds too, and then provide protection when I'm shooting, and it's got good battery life too.  I've got a pair of David Clark headphones too that I use when flying, but the price of an adapter for my other radios would be prohibitive.

The guys at work use either Peltors or David Clarks when working around helicopters, but they're not paying for the headsets themselves.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
Johny

I have 2 different types of ear pro that have Comms capability . The first is my stand alone set by MSA Sordin. On my helmet I have a set of dedicated Peltor Comtac III.  Both have boom mics and pigtail connectors that plug into the PTT.  The PTT that I have mounted on my carrier is a Peltor with a Kenwood connection to my radio.  Both of these come in either single or dual comm models.  I honestly dont have a preference. Both are excellent at noise cancelling and both allow for clear communications.  I would say that the Peltor Comtac unit is a little better at attenuating the gunfire while keeping voices distinguishable. Both are also both run approx the same pricing at about $250+ (more than my radios by a good stretch)

I hope this is a little helpful.

Chris

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:43:31 PM by CJS06 »

Bazooka Joe

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
Has anyone used one of the bone conduction headsets and can comment on their effectiveness?

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:19:54 PM »
   I tried them while riding a motorcycle, and they didn't work too well.

gadget99

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 03:05:44 AM »
I have been looking into this also.

Still evaluating what I need in my new circumstances after moving to the Island.

I was thinking of supplementing my longer range HT's with something that is shorter ranged for use between people will on patrol and such.

With that in mind I may pickup a few of the motorcycle wireless intercom setups and see how they do.

They are not that expensive. So I can play around with them without breaking the bank.

I like the low power of them. Less for someone to detect.

Cheers all.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:01:55 PM »
Currently I ue a a "dogbone" mic that I secure to my left shoulder strap with tape. When I want to listen or talk (RX or TX) I lean my head over and RX or push the PTT button. Works great but I would like what the 3m Peltor Contac III's offer. The prices I am seeing are in the $500- range with mic and Kenwood connections.

Chris, if and when you get a chance, would you share a link for the Contac III's with boom mic and kenwood connection.  ;D
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
Currently I ue a a "dogbone" mic that I secure to my left shoulder strap with tape. When I want to listen or talk (RX or TX) I lean my head over and RX or push the PTT button. Works great but I would like what the 3m Peltor Contac III's offer. The prices I am seeing are in the $500- range with mic and Kenwood connections.

Chris, if and when you get a chance, would you share a link for the Contac III's with boom mic and kenwood connection.  ;D

Johny, This is the PTT - Kenwood adapter that I use. My Contac IIIs plug into this directly using the std pigtail. https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Kenwood-Radios-Connector-FL5035-01/dp/B01N0NXZR5

The Comtac's themselves dont have the Kenwwod connection.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »
Thx brother!

Offline SemperParatus

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 06:32:02 AM »
We currently have in stock 14 FRS/GMRS hand held radios with ear buds and remote mics, 5 Baofeng UV5R  hand helds with throat mics and ear buds, VHF hand helds.  Mobile radios include CB and HAM truck radios, base station is identical to mobile and run off solar with battery back up.  Never forget your hand signals.
Always Prepared

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »
GREAT SemperParatus!

Do you have your ham license? If so GREAT! The second Sunday of each month UP along with ERIN do a net on HF. This coming net will most likely be on 75/80-Meters.