Author Topic: Sig516 no cleaning or lubing for 2000 rds  (Read 885 times)

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Sig516 no cleaning or lubing for 2000 rds
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
Last week ran (among other things) my Sig516.

It started out clean and lubed.
Then no cleaning/lubing for 2000 rds.

-No malfunctions during running the course
-BUT When loading the rifle between heats near the end I could tell some extra resistance to the buffer spring pushing the BCG forward to pick up the next round.. this sometimes resulted in misfeeds on a fresh mag when I manually racked back the charging handle.... So either it was getting dirty and internal friction slowly increased or I need a new buffer spring (its original)... Maybe a bit of both..
- Another note on piston guns and not cleaning for long time.. even if the BCG etc stays clean the bolt face still gets dirt pushed into it. I hadnt paid enough attention to the bolt a few months back and found light primer strikes happening (not this recent session) despite running upgraded firing pins (longer tip)... Turns out this was due to so much gunk building up in the firing pin channel it was buffering FP from extended out all the way
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:12:08 PM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
Re: Sig516 no cleaning or lubing for 2000 rds
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »
that's why I like piston guns, they keep on rocking and rolling  :gunner:
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
The no cleaning/lubing a piston gun is a myth that will eventually bite an owner. True the BCG and Bolt stay cleaner (not clean as Erik pointed out), but the carbon and gasses from the firing cycle dont just go away.  The piston system still needs to be cleaned of carbon build up and fouling.  I end up servicing a number of piston guns (Adams Arms, Sig, PWS and yes even HK) that the owners focused on the same cleaning regimen as a DI gun and disregarded the gas system (piston).  The point of gas for the piston gets very hot and are subject to fouling just like a dry bolt in a DI BCG.  Shoot a piston gun a ton under nods and look at the areas where the guns get the hottest....it can be very educational.

This is not me bashing piston guns, just a heads up for people that run them.  Pistons have a place and can be nicer in some applications, but like other system they need to be maintained properly. 

Also I see a ton of people think they dont need to lube their piston gun......dont do it!  Keep your bolt/bcg lubed and your gun will run significantly better with less wear on these key parts.  Dont believe the marketing BS for coatings and treatments that eliminate the need for lube.

Chris

PS I have run my KAC SR15 multiple time to 4-5000 rds between cleaning, my Noveskes (10.5", 14.7" AND 18")regularly 2-3k rds between cleanings, including supressed. Keep your guns wet.....really wet , even DI guns will run on and on.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 01:33:21 AM »
One data point I probably should add that I was able to stay in "normal" gas setting the entire time.
So I probably did not explore the limits of "dirtiness and still function" yet
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
I agree that cleaning and lubing is a must but side by side and under the same conditions a piston will out last a DI.
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
All I know is that there was one video where they did a 6000 round torture test on a Colt LE 6920 and it had only one FTE. Was big factor in my decision to buy that.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »
Piston guns are great, DI guns are great.  Each outshines the other in certain situations, and each has certain limitations in certain situations.  What it comes down to is take care of your gun and keep it lubed (notice I didnt say to clean constantly) and it will take care of you. Even piston guns need their bcg's lubed to run efficiently. Clean it when it needs it, especially specific key areas.

Just make sure that what you have is quality and you will be good long term.

Chris