Author Topic: Painting your kit  (Read 2924 times)

Ghost

Painting your kit
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
Aight, so apparently Coyote brown isn't that great of a colour to have in the boreal forest, wetlands and barrens. It's okay, but I need more pattern for it to actually be better than 50%.

So I'm going the cheap route, and that is with spray paint (also plan on doing some other gear, few lights, some pouches, knife sheaths, etc). So what would you gents say is the best paint to get. I understand that krylon is the best for solid things like steel, kydex, that kind of stuff. But how does it hold up on nylon shit?

And yeah, I've thought about dying it, but I'd rather more of a multi-colour look to it, rather than a solid.

Also, OD Green painted beer cans = TacBrew? :))

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Painting your kit
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
Make sure that the paint you use is FLAT finish, I thought it wouldn't matter on a broke up surface like cloth and I was wrong.

I really like the Krylon Infuse and the Krylon One Step. That said you may have a hard time finding anything that matches your colours up there on the port.

The Camo Krylon is good paint and goes on well but I never did like the colours it came in..

Pics or it didn't happen!

Ghost

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Good stuff. I'll get some stuff tomorrow and give it a go this week. Pics in a few days.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:35:58 AM »
I use krylon cammo.  I start with coyote brown gear and ad broad splotches of OD and use a paint pen (available at women's hobby places) to make the OD pop out.

Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
Currahee,
that looks GREAT! Man I just don't have the balls to spray paint my Colt 6920. When the SHTF I will give it a try...I guess. Great idea on the paint pen. I will swing by Michahel's today to check out the colors that are available.

Many years ago I built a collapsible stool designed by Dr. Nordberg, the deer expert.

http://www.drnordbergondeerhunting.com/hypertext/Portable_Stool/Portable_Stool.html#Dr. Ken Nordberg's Portable Hunting Stool

Well the cloth seat gave out on mine last year so I made a new one this fall.

I went to the local fabric store and bought a sq yrd of the thickest, densest cotton fabric I could find and sowed up a new seat. The fabric was a light color so I took the Kyron camo paint I had used for the stool and sprayed the cloth in a cross stroke pattern. Let it dry and then took the seat and put it in a SS pot that I had boiled ground up walnut shells.

I let the camo seat sit in the walnut shell solution over night and then washed it in no scent soap. Sorry I do not have a picture of the result (Up at the BOL) however I was very happy with the results.   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Ghost

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Well I never got to pick any paint up yet. Physiotherapy is kicking my ass. I'll try and pick some up in a few days though.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:20:29 AM »
Thinking about adding some black to my OD

Thoughts?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

UnBroken

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
I used the cammo krylon for my rifle and added some stripes( freehanded) to break up the pattern

Crow

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
I wouldn't wait til in my bol to paint anything with spray paint due to the lingering angel if you are down wind from an offensive hostile they'll smell your fresh krylon position paint job 200m off.  Just my .02 used to do spray paint art for side money.once got pulled over leaving a job because the cop thought I was huffing r the shit. Any ways he was a motor cycle cop accross the street from the gas station I was at how pin pointed my car by scent is beyond me but it was really funny when a sheriff depp showed up and reemed his ass for jurisdiction then helped me put all my supplies and paintings back in my car.

UnBroken

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
Currahee: how much does yoyr rifle weigh

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
I wouldn't wait til in my bol to paint anything with spray paint due to the lingering angel if you are down wind from an offensive hostile they'll smell your fresh krylon position paint job 200m off.  Just my .02 used to do spray paint art for side money.once got pulled over leaving a job because the cop thought I was huffing r the shit. Any ways he was a motor cycle cop accross the street from the gas station I was at how pin pointed my car by scent is beyond me but it was really funny when a sheriff depp showed up and reemed his ass for jurisdiction then helped me put all my supplies and paintings back in my car.

think you can stencil up my kit bro?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Crow

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
I can do much better than stencil but yes.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
Keep in mind it is just krylon, with realativly little use its going to wear off fairly fast. And chemical cleaners, heck even just water/humidity are going to allow it to wear faster. I wouldnt put alot of time or effort into it, all your really looking to do is make it not black so it doesn stand out like a sore thumb and break it up a bit. If you are doing this to a AR you can get a good eough effect just by adding some non black furniture

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
I've strongly considered ordering a duracoat kit to go OD Green on all my guns (except for my bird-gun lol).

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Well I'm so glad we have an expert in the house!  So I guess my rifle that has been painted, left in the hot baking sun AFTER having a shit ton of rounds thru it at fast rate, being handled, abused and thrown around... I guess it's a fluke that its still got a nice coat on it?   [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Now granted I have not tried CLP (or paint remover for that matter) but the gun cleaners I have used ON THE PAINT to see if it would remove some did a lackluster job at best, so I wouldn't worry about that.  Honestly the only "wear" where the paint has been removed is on contact points like where the safety slides.

My advise would also be to add a thin coat or two of matte finish clear coat.  Helps the paint job last longer and gives it a more professionally done look.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »
I would love to paint my AR but I just don't have the balls to do so!  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Does anybody want to write up a step by step proceedure?

1) Make sure weapon is not loaded
2) Tape off area's you don't want painted
3) Etcetera....
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
I would love to paint my AR but I just don't have the balls to do so!  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Does anybody want to write up a step by step proceedure?

1) Make sure weapon is not loaded
2) Tape off area's you don't want painted
3) Etcetera....

http://www.everycitizenasoldier.org/id51.html
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »
Currahee: how much does yoyr rifle weigh

About 7lbs unloaded

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
Currahee,
thanks. Man where did come up with all of the suff on your site - It is GREAT! Thanks for sharing.

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
Well I'm so glad we have an expert in the house!  So I guess my rifle that has been painted, left in the hot baking sun AFTER having a shit ton of rounds thru it at fast rate, being handled, abused and thrown around... I guess it's a fluke that its still got a nice coat on it?   [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Now granted I have not tried CLP (or paint remover for that matter) but the gun cleaners I have used ON THE PAINT to see if it would remove some did a lackluster job at best, so I wouldn't worry about that.  Honestly the only "wear" where the paint has been removed is on contact points like where the safety slides.

My advise would also be to add a thin coat or two of matte finish clear coat.  Helps the paint job last longer and gives it a more professionally done look.

I'm assumeing you are refering to me? I never claimed to be an expert. However I have used krylon enough to know what it is and is not capable of. I feel pretty safe in my assumption your "shit ton" of rounds is under 1000 maybe 2K. Handled abused and thrown around I am also skeptical of. Maybe handled, but abused and thrown around I question. Krylon simply does not have much staying power. Its spray paint, not some miracle compound. Sure it wont completly wear off immediatly. But add in humidity, or hot baking sun along with handling and you will fairly quickly see where you are placing your hands, where the rifle rubs on your gear/gut. Now granted if it spends alot of its time in the closet or dry fire in your living room even with handling this most likely wont be the case at least not for a very long time. And yes clear coat will help a good bit. But its still going the wear fairly heavily fairly quickly. I dont know this personally from rattle canning my own gun. I do know this personally from rattle canning other objects though. Some plastic some steel and some wood. Basically everything a gun is made of. So while I am far from an expert I do have a clue of what I speak.
My original post was not ment to be negative, just a heads up that it doesnt have to be perfect.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:09:01 PM by themighty9mm »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
So mighty 9, if you don't like Krylon what do you recommend? Thanks.

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »
So mighty 9, if you don't like Krylon what do you recommend? Thanks.

It's not at all that I dont like krylon. My original post was simply to state a krylon wont hold up over time so no real sense in putting much effort into it. I then went on to simply say all you are looking to do is get rid of the black and maybe break it up a bit. I personally dont see much need for it, especially with the variety of colors of furniture out. A little black will certainly not make or break you. If they are close enough to spot a black lower receiver then chances are they are certainly close enough to pick you out from a bush. In that case it really wont matter what color your rifle is. I can certainly see why one would want to, a good bit of black will stand out, and in the sun will get pretty warm. Just dont see much point into putting much effort into it. As it wont stay that perfect camo job for long. When I say for long I'm talking several months of actual use. I say dont put much effort into as chances are you will be redoing it fairly soon. Not real sure camo is needed, a simple single earth tone would go pretty far.

My whole point was simply saying wouldnt put alot of effort into it is all as you will be redoing it soon enough

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
oops... repost

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
i Just put a coat of paint on my ar. I painted the receiver od green and the barrel past the hand guards tan. It has all magpul od furniture on it.
I haven't even put the pattern on or the second coat and it already looks awesome.
Pics tomorow.
sic luceat lux

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »
pics as promised

sic luceat lux