Author Topic: Matador Gear  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Matador Gear
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:29 AM »
Found this site.  Thoughts Gents?

Nemo

Main Page-- https://matadorup.com/

Specific EDC Blanket--   https://matadorup.com/products/matador-mini?variant=750082795
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Matador Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »
   It depends upon what you're going to use it for.  From the website, it looks like the intended use is as a groundcloth.  It's small for a blanket, but I guess it would do in a pinch, though I wouldn't count on much heat retention if used as a blanket in a cold climate.  I think I would use it like a tarp, for rain protection or as a sun screen.  I did order one, just because!

During the winter months I generally carry a goretex bivy sack, which can be used as a lightweight sleeping sack, plus keep you dry too.  In the summer months I've camped with just a bivy sack and a tarp.  One of my bivy sacks has an insect screen around the top, so you can keep your head out without getting chewed up by bugs.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
I like the portability and how small it folds but $20........... Bwahahahahaha

gadget99

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:53 AM »
Neat product for those that need a small ground cloth to sit on.

The price is just a little much. Yet it looks to be pitched to the adventuring younger crowd. So the market could bear the price.

In the same size package you could carry a few or more of the VERY cheap space blankets. (Just me thinking aloud as a tightwad)

Now when it comes to a blanket for survival carry. You cannot go wrong with a US Army/Marine Poncho Liner. Or "Woobie" as the the troops call it. I personally relied on it while in service and we buy a few a year to add to our stock. The family uses them religiously here. The best field blanket ever still. Add a military poncho to the mix and you have a real winning combination. There are so many ways to use the two.

You can put one in a compression sack and reduce it to a very manageable size.

Pinch Liner Reference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncho_liner?wprov=sfla1

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:39 AM »
   Yes, Gadget, our family is also a big supporter of woobies.  The lightness and warmth of woobies is incredible.  Plus you can buy them from army surplus stores very cheaply.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:46:24 AM »
   I received one of the Matador "blankets".  They ship very quickly.  The blanket material is very thin and light.  It's definitely smaller than most blankets.  It would provide some protection from moisture and wind, but a piece of polyethylene plastic could do the same thing, at a much cheaper price.  I did throw it into my everyday carry, bugout bag, just because the weight is negligible.

An additional use would be as a ground cloth when prone shooting. 

I'd like to get one of those thermal tarps, which give some shielding from thermal scopes/FLIR, but the prices are prohibitive.  I need to convince my wife to construct one.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 07:47:17 AM »
having worked construction in my younger days - my favorite ground cloth has, for years, been a piece of tyvek.  relatively tough, light, cheap and easily replaced.  its windproof and water resistant.
a standard roll of tyvek is 9' wide and can be cut with scissors.  find a home constructions site when they are weather-tight-ing a home and just ask for the scraps- they typically toss them into the trash - craigs list works too. 
it is also called 'house wrap'.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
having worked construction in my younger days - my favorite ground cloth has, for years, been a piece of tyvek.  relatively tough, light, cheap and easily replaced.  its windproof and water resistant.
a standard roll of tyvek is 9' wide and can be cut with scissors.  find a home constructions site when they are weather-tight-ing a home and just ask for the scraps- they typically toss them into the trash - craigs list works too. 

TYVEK is a real good suggestion. Way back in the 1960's, there were advertisements for paper clothes. They were actually TYVEK. My cousin was a house contractor and said it was great stuff because it breathed and still kept water out. That stuff could be used for all kinds of things in a "Gotta live in the woods" situation.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
     Yeah, some of the lower grade decontamination suits are made out of Tyvek.  It's a remarkable material.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »
DS, you link now shows those mats at $4.99.  Tracking through to the store local to me has them at $19.99.  Maybe I need to visit CA.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

gadget99

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
Thank you for reminding me.

I was going to order a whole roll to set by in the Garage as part of my stock-up.

I completely forgot.

So many uses for the stuff.

Cheers

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »
I've found the Tyvek tape to be quite useful too.  It performs when & where even the best duct tape fails...such as rain, shine, heat or cold.

PRO:  Far superior adhesive. 
CON:  Zero elasticity...so it's not for every job.

See attached pic of my tail light.  I put that tape on 2+ months ago. 

"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
So, you drive a Corvair?

Nemo