Author Topic: Leupold MK6 3-18x44 Tremor 3  (Read 1122 times)

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
Leupold MK6 3-18x44 Tremor 3
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
I got to spend a majority of last week in southern Utah getting some excellent training in with Buck Doyle of Follow Through Consulting.  I got the opportunity to take his Scoped Carbine/Nightfighter class.  It was the first time I was able to get any real time behind the Tremor 3 reticle.  Although I have shot Horus glass in the past, the new Tremor 3 with its wind dots makes for a very intuitive reticle. most of the time we shot from 200m out to 800m with occasional longer shots out to 1000m.  Once properly zeroed and doped for holds this thing was fast. One of the most impressive features of this scope was that it works for any rifle you put it on. We had guys running 145" to 18" 5.56s a couple of .308s and couple of 6.5 Creedmoors.

This is not an inexpensive glass by any means, but if you are looking for a good, solid long range glass for effective combat shooting this is a great way to go.  If you want to play the whole precision game putting each round on top of another or playing with knobs then I would go a different route.  The entire class was run on 12" plates so it is definitely precise, just not the common "sniper" or precision concept.  The huge advantage of the scope is in being able to take the input in and be able to quickly correct and get the necessary hits as fast as possible. The real place where this reticle shines is in wind. Throughout the week we regularly saw 12-18mph with slightly higher gusts. On our last day we had consistent 25-28mph with guts into the high 30s. The addition of the wind dots to the Horus reticle may seem a bit mor cluttered but are really intuitive and make shooting in wind much easier. 

I shot an 18" barreled 5.56 with an NG2 Maxflow can running 77gr Black Hills SMK for the class. At night we used L3 CNVDs or KAC PVS 30 clip on night vision.  Buck teaches a great class where he really pushes each student for improvement.  This class is not about groups on paper but rather more of a gunfighting course. All about getting good effective hits quickly at extended ranges in various conditions from all manor of shooting positions.

I have shot with many different scopes and I can definitely say if you are looking for an extended range scope and are in the budgeted range I would definitely recommend considering this scope.

Chris

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Leupold MK6 3-18x44 Tremor 3
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »
Yeah, I will have to continue lotto investing to get the $2859 to buy one of them.  But I will continue my investing.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
Nemo

The new Mk 5s are impressive as well. They are light, can be had with a T3 reticle and most importantly are about $1k cheaper. 

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
Great write-up Chris...Thanks.  :cheers:

Hope to meet-up at January's Shot Show.

Will you have a booth there this year for your mobile 'shoot-house'?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »
Nice - sounds like nice glass!

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
Great write-up Chris...Thanks.  :cheers:

Hope to meet-up at January's Shot Show.

Will you have a booth there this year for your mobile 'shoot-house'?
Johny
I will not have my own booth.  I have meetings with UTM, Simunition and a number of specific training companies that do force on force/reality based training as a focus of their program.

We definitely need to get together while out in Vegas.
Chris