Author Topic: Great discussion of AR15 Mags  (Read 934 times)

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Great discussion of AR15 Mags
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:08 PM »
I watched a vid from AREGULARGUY123 where he stated Lancer mags don't work in extremely cold temps because he took a class somewhere where it was cold and noticed the Lancers repeatedly failed.

I made a mental note of that since over half my warstock mags are Lancers.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:41:01 PM »
Interesting video.  Pretty obvious he has a relationship with Lancer and not a truly un-biased review. Still a fairly decent review for the most part.

Chris

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:44:07 PM »
I watched a vid from AREGULARGUY123 where he stated Lancer mags don't work in extremely cold temps because he took a class somewhere where it was cold and noticed the Lancers repeatedly failed.

I made a mental note of that since over half my warstock mags are Lancers.

Hmmm..... this sounds 100% like class I put on last winter in VA where several attendees including myself, were running Lancers (mostly to be frank, based on my recommendations over past years. I had found a source, Botach, which was selling Lancers, a premium Mag, at nearly the same price as PMags... so I picked them up for the high value that this implied and I do love their construction and color choices... Pmag plastic is best in black.. but for camos reason I prefer OD or FDE... Lancers come in both and the non black mags are just as strong as the black ones..)

At this class several of us had cold soaked our gear outside overnite.

Rifles, optics, magazines and ammo, eveything.. It was 9F when we got out in the morning
A COLD day at the range indeed, it was no fun.. but our group of Prepper Light Infantry felt we had to test out gear.

We consistently had failures with the Lancers in those conditions.. not 100% mind you.. but still often enough to was unacceptable.. I think its a fair guess that the temps did something to the geometry of the steel lips ( which are otherwise a good selling point)

The Green Beret who performed the linked review likely has spent his time most in very warm climates.
I was training with some active duty SF guys the other week and noticed lot of them ran Lancers also.

PMags ran fine in this cold.

Credit where credit is due.
Otherwise i have a preference of Lancers of PMags though... (Pmags are noticably bulkier than Lancers in both lenght and girth which causes problems in many rigs)
Tangodown are among the best , but also among the most expensive and are even bigger than Pmags in girth and lenght , Simply unusable in rigs with USGI sized Mag pouches. My Blackhawk chest rig handles them fine though.. but many others do to.

Back during the mag crises i bought some thermold.. not great mags... but better than none and the 20 rds seemed to work ok.
I also like the Troys.. they smoothly fit even into my tighter rigs and re just as decent in function as Pmags while being much slimmer and a little cheaper when on sale.

I am not saying lancers are bad they still offer many good points... but I am not keeping them as 100% of my war stock anymore for this one reason..
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:49:56 PM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?