Author Topic: Flashlights...what do you have?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
Flashlights...what do you have?
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:54 AM »
That's right. Spurred from the " Knives what do you have? " Topic

Let's hear it on Flashlights
Weapon mount, Pocket mount, Gear Mount, BOB Mount, House Mount, Vic  ( Car/Truck ) mount.

My Weapon mounts are a Surefire Scout 
And a Surefire M2 Centurion

I swear by both or I would not use them. My only issues are
1. The Surefire scout, for how long the battery last ( 2 hours ) I personally think it should pump out more than 200 Lumens
2. The M2 though very very sturdy, I do not have the LED drop in yet. So the regular M60 Lamp only pumps out like 65 lumens.

Don't Really have a pocket mount. Unless you consider the little triangle blinky thing on my key chain.  :-\

My gear mount ( Don't laugh ) a Garrity http://www.usimprints.com/store/promotional-flashlights-custom/product/garrity-r-led-flashlight-with-nylon-belt-holster-with-lens-pouch-made-from-aluminum-2/

Actually, Go ahead and laugh. This flashlight has lasted my Entire Military Carerre 5 Years 1 Deployment used daily for random amounts of time, on the same set of three AAA batteries. If that is not awesome then I don't know what it. I do not have any gripes against this system. I mean, I have lost the red lens and the sheath and the lanyard that was on it. But all in all it's super bright still ( scared to put new batts in it. Might put my surefire's to shame ) and I trust it with my LIFE!

BOB Mount, Is generally what ever flashlight is around.  Wallmart sells packs of like two or three including batteries for like 4-6 bucks.  They are ok. Haven't used them enough to give a good or bad impression.

House & Vic mount, for me Again walmart had to pull through on me ( sorry guys little business's just charge way to much ) They sell these single 90 lumen search lights with the D Cell batteries included for 3 bucks. as a matter of fact its actually cheaper to buy the set with the flashlight than it is to buy a set of batteries.  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at So when I need D cells I just grab the flashlight sets.  ::)

So, let's hear and maybe even see what you guys got. I should probably do a YT video review of my stuff. You guys should too. Get that info out there.
RvR Out.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
Re: Flashlights...what do you have?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
Feast your eyes on this thread. You're welcome.  ;) I'm lucky I found it, and had the good sense to bookmark it!

http://m14forum.com/broken-arrow/48017-lights-ccw-law-enforcement.html

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »
I have several flashlights.  I have a Stinger that I got years ago but the thing has crapped out on me a couple times and no longer works so I don't even bother with it.  Here is pretty much what I have for light:

This is a great little light for the money, is zoomable and uses AAA batteries.  Used it for years and still going strong and is small enough to carry in a pocket.  It also comes with an adapter that allows you to use an 18650 battery instead if you'd like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MXDL-CREE-Q5-3Mode-Adjustable-focus-Flashlight-SA-28-/250517561819?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3a5402a1db

I have a couple Coleman flashlights that are bright enough for standard use and also take AAA's.  Work great with 114 Lumen output and haven't had problems with them.  Great light for about 20 bucks.

I also have a couple of headlamps that are great for those times that you need your hands and light! lol.

I also have some battery powered "reusable" light sticks for "marking" purposes.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
A couple maglites.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Ghost

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:11:14 PM »
Petzl tactikka and Fenix LD20 are my only tacticool lights. Had a first gen Surefire G2 but I traded it away for some other stuff.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
I've got a couple of small maglights.  A couple of shake them up make them go lights.  A 2 1/2 foot D cell head basher.  And enough candles, thanks to my wife, to supply a rather large Catholic church for several years.   

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »
I've been a flashlight nerd for for a long time so I own a small arsenal of them.  But here are a few of my favorites.  (Links are for pics only and are not necessarily the best price) :

Streamlight Nano:  This is an ultra compact key chain light and therefore is the light I use the most often.  I've had mine for 2 years.  The paint will eventually all come off from rubbing against your keys but that in no way affects the function.  I had to scrape the contacts and replace the batts. after 18 months.  It's bright and tiny and worth every penny of the $6.50 I paid.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=141

Princeton Tec Eos:  Is my second most often used light.  It's among the brightest of the headlamps, has hi/med/low & flash settings, and is water resistant.  A high quality headlamp is a must for any bag.  Yes you can buy headlamps for a lot less, but you get what you pay for.  There's nothing wrong with having some cheap headlamps but have some quality ones too.  The one I bought is black, but it also comes in some "gay-glow" colors, for anyone who's into that sort of thing.
http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=eos

Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 2AA:  I refuse to buy any thing that uses 123A batteries, so that means I won't buy a Surefire.  So in my search for a suitable substitute for Surefire's capabilities, I've settled on this small, tough, waterproof and bright (130 Lumens) Rayovac that uses 2AA's.  Oh yeah, and did I mention that it focuses like a Mag-lite?  I paid less than $30 for mine.  ANYONE WANTING A SUREFIRE HAND HELD, BUT DOESN'T HAVE OR DOESN'T WANT TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A FLASHLIGHT, SHOULD REALLY TRY ONE OF THESE.
http://www.batterysavers.com/SEF2AA-B-100lumens2wledflashlight.htm

Pak-Lite Super:  This 9-volt wonder deserves an honorable mention... not for its brightness, because it's not, but for it's compact size and it's battery life.  With a lithium battery it runs 80 hours on high & 1,200 hours on low.  With an alkaline battery it runs 30 hours on high & 600 hours on low.
http://www.9voltlight.com/general_purpose__white_leds_
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:57:27 AM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »
On the rifle I have a Streamlight PolyTac LED.

On the pistol I rock a Streamlight TLR-3.

Both have proven to be good so far.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »
On the rifle I have a: UTG LT EL228 with a pressure activated switch on the forward grip

On my vest: River Rock (What ever that is  :)) )

Both LED.

Up at the BOL we use a combination of Aladdin Kerosene lamps and Coleman Battery operated lamps. We found (Through trial and error) the best battery operated lamp is the 580 Lumens Coleman 8D lantern. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?Product_id=2000001808

The batteries we use in the flash lights and lanterns are NiMH which do not acquire a memory. We charge the batteries using our solar power system at camp (12 Vlt) and at home use a 120Vlt charger.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:44:52 PM »
This very thread spurred me to find an old Maglite Mini AA with Xenon bulb, that was tucked away in a box. Popped in some batteries, and viola!, works fine. Also found out that I can upgrade the bulb to LED for fairly cheaply from Nite Ize. Also have a 'gift' flashlight from the NRA that is suppose to look like a shotgun shell. The switch works intermittently, so took the batteries out of it. Also have a cheapo LED by bedside, that runs on three AAA's.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
I don't have any tacticool lights. I don't like weapon lights so I never felt the need to spend the money on one. I'd rather remain in the dark.

that being said, I keep 4 2xAA mini-maglites on hand around the house, another mini-mag in my BOB, several cheapo dollar-store flashlights around the house, a cheap energizer head-lamp in the BOB, and my EDC is a maglite XL200 http://www.maglite.com/Maglite_XL200_LED.asp
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:34:25 PM by NOLA556 »
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
Fenix LD40

-248 Lumens
-4 AA powered (i feel is very important for lights that will be used in SHTF for cost to buy batt. in bulk and because its the most common batt. to find laying around in the world)
-Lasts over 3 hours on turbo
-Lasts 245
-Lasts 20 DAYS on low (245 hours)
-Comes with strobe and SOS functions
-Waterproof

its only downfall is the body is plastic so unless you dont mind breaking it then bashing in some ones face with it wont be a good idea. but that plastic body has benefits in cold weather where it wont be very cold to the touch like a metal flashlight will. it does have a metal head/housing area though and that has real glass in it not cheesy plastic that can scrath up like some lower end lights.

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_LD40_R4_Black.html?gclid=CK-Vw4HAj60CFaQbQgodiwFQnw#catalog/img/2000-4400900.jpg

Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 06:31:54 AM »
I have a streamlight super-tac on my AR, it's a bit big, but not too heavy, and it has excellent throw. I've used it at night during a carbine class, and it made the smaller lights most of the other guys (mostly local SWAT guys) use, seem miniscule by comparison. It also doesn't have too much light up close, so it won't wash out my dot. I use a tapeswitch, that I mount on the 12 o'clock rail forward of my FSB.

I use a fenix LD10 as an EDC, I like it a lot, and fenix makes quality lights, even if they are made in china. One thing I've noticed about it, as well as my LD20, is the screw in ring that holds the switch in place, has a tendency to back out after unscrewing the tailcap repeatedly, and the switch won't work then. A quick twist with a pen fixes this, and I've been meaning to loctite it.

I also keep a surefire G2 led with a grahm combat ring handy, as it's a good light to use with a weapon in the other hand, with the combat ring on it. It's basically a poor mans version of the combat lights surefire sells.

I also have 3 extra G2 leds that I've picked up when they where cheap, I'm putting one on my AK when I can get a vtac mount for it, and I may throw another on my shotgun, and keep the last as a spare.
It's better to have it and not need it ...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
my post above should say 10 days battery life not 20
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
Just opened stockings Got a " Totes, LED HeadLamp "
Fuck yeah! Seems to work ok for now. I'll give a review when I actually get some use out of it.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
Just opened stockings Got a " Totes, LED HeadLamp "
Fuck yeah! Seems to work ok for now. I'll give a review when I actually get some use out of it. 

Congrats Reaver!  That could come in pretty handy.   :)  Santa knows what he's doing.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »
i notice everyones weapons lights are 123 or other funky expensive rare to find batteries... can you guys afford to stockpile batteries for those lights? im thinking this one for my 870... fenix knows whats up. AA powered is the only lights ill consider buying. one battery to rule them all. kind of like trying to keep ammo compatability i do the same with my battery powered stuff.

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_E21_R2_Black.html#catalog/img/1000-x210600.jpg
Simplicity Is Ideal...

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
i notice everyones weapons lights are 123 or other funky expensive rare to find batteries... can you guys afford to stockpile batteries for those lights? im thinking this one for my 870... fenix knows whats up. AA powered is the only lights ill consider buying. one battery to rule them all. kind of like trying to keep ammo compatability i do the same with my battery powered stuff.

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_E21_R2_Black.html#catalog/img/1000-x210600.jpg

whaaat 35.00???

and i have heard great things about fenix.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »

whaaat 35.00???

and i have heard great things about fenix.

hell yeah dude. the one fenix light i have that i talked about above is excellent. this little guy seems perfect for my shotgun. and 150 lumens aint too shabby. fenix lights seem to always be very powerful in what ever category they are in.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
hel yeah! thanks for the heads up on it.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
i have some military flashlights but my main ones are my browning pro hunters ones by my bed and ones in my hunting vest, theyre bright and nice lights for 25 bucks each.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
I just bought a new flashlight a couple of weeks ago. It's an Olight (brand) M21-X Warrior(model). It was expensive and I did some homework for a couple of months before deciding to buy it. It's MY flashlight for emergencies and the kids know not to use it for going out to feed the dog, looking for nightcrawlers, etc. It's an awesome light. 4 settings: low, med, high, and high strobe. The high and high strobe is 600 lumens. Blinding! Anyway, I love this light.   

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
Just in the mail today, a Citipower SA-9. It's damn bright....

First impressions (besides being damn bright), seems very well built and not something that I have to worry about breaking through normal use. The adjustable focus/zoom is neat, also has a strobe feature. Best part, only cost me $7 shipped.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:57:03 PM by crudos »

1000meterstare

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
I have a small browning flashlight.  Nothing fancy but it is bright as hell and super heavy-duty.  Lanyard and rope included.  And though it is small, it is hard and durable enough to beat the crap out of somebody.  Excellent qualities...

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:39 AM »
bump