Author Topic: canteen - stainless steel water bottle  (Read 774 times)

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
canteen - stainless steel water bottle
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »
I've been using klean kanteen stuff for a while now.  i love their insulated cups and single wall bottles.
i have made one change - i moved up to the 64 oz / 2L bottle.  its allowed me to carry more coffee (i put the packets in the bottle until needed.  I've added some electrolyte replacement powder.  put a mini sawyer water filter set in the bottle holder.  I have a nesting 48 oz / 1.4L cup.  i can put the cup over a small fire or take the cap off and put the whole bottle into the fire. 

it isn't a large change from my 32oz or 40oz bottles - but the cup is large enough to cook a meal in, or boil enough water for a typical freeze dried meal.  Once i'm sure it will work as intended, i'm going to put a spoon and sill cock key in the carry bag and remove my cooking kit from the car.  the bottle isn't a lot heavier than my current rig, but getting rid of the cook kit from my get home bag is a real weight saver - over a pound.

my car kit is designed for 5 days of support.  My area has enough 'biomas' to use a small stove without having to carry fuel. 

there are several good brands, but i like klean kanteen.  I've worn out the silicone seals (easy to replace) but never trashed out a bottle - and the caps are pretty tough.
https://www.kleankanteen.com/collections/water-bottles/products/wide-mouth-water-bottle-64oz

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: canteen - stainless steel water bottle
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
I have not tried this canteen however an excellent topic to chat about.

Many years ago during my backpacking days I used a steel GI canteen. When we moved onto the boat I gave most if not all of my backpacking stuff away.

Several years ago I needed a canteen again so I purchased a plastic type GI canteen. In short - I HATED IT! The liquid put in it always seemed to have an off taste.

When I put my BOB together around 2010 I went back to the GI canteen and cup in stainless steel. So far I love it except the hot drinks I drink out of the SS cup does not hold coffee at a good temp. Since I use the cup often to heat water then pour in Starbucks instant coffee I am OK with it.

Actually I use a "stick" of Starbucks coffee (This is how it comes) and a packet of 3 in 1 Cambodian/Vietnamese instant coffee into 8 oz. of hot water. I use G7 or Vincafe brand 3 in 1 coffee although there are other brands out there.

Anyway, what canteen are you using and why?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:43:29 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »
I have several aluminum single wall pint jugs that weigh about a half ounce (so it seems) each with cap.  I carry one, and have a second under the seat in my truck to use if I need water boiling or such.  For general water carry I keep a plastic canteen with cup under the seat also (part of GHB kit) and a second on my home GOOD kit for when necessary.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

gadget99

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 02:45:32 AM »
I admit I prefer Aluminium or Stainless water containers when I can get them cheap for taste.

The GI Plastic canteens I used while in service were OK for what purpose they served. Admittedly the taste of our water as infantry was less of a concern at the time. To many other things to worry about.

The family are rigged up with camelbak's in our preps for utility purposes though. I want them carrying a good amount of water so they stay hydrated as much as possible. I have added sawyer filters to their drinking tubes so that the source of the water can be a slightly less of a concern (Rain Barrels).

Cheers