Author Topic: BOV concept.  (Read 2432 times)

Crow

BOV concept.
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Bare bone rail buggy platform.

When I say bare bone I mean it will be as basic as I can make it.

No electronics. no computer running anything. An ignition, coil, and battery.

If you see the gap in the front windshield it is a slide over for a weapon port.

This is just a concept ofcourse as you can see it was made in google sketchup lol.

My wife OKAYed a toy after I got rid of my z so this will be it.

bov1.avi

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
Re: BOV concept.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »
Love the concept i have been thinking about a one off BOV my self based around the m35a2 multi fuel engine. For your plan I would use the drive train from one of the old VW air cooled bugs. easy to work on parts everywhere and cheap, and its a proven rail design. The rear engine means the front suspenion can set up much more simplie and all your weight in the rear for better traction.

Crow

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »
yeah. too be honest when I started making this I was orignally going to make like an open wheel ratrod type design but then BOV popped in my head. The VW idea did cross my mind but I already had alot of the planning into the ratrod. I will post a reformed purpose built BOV concept when I have more time. The other reason its got the front engine was I was initially going to try to up up with a design for the 4x4. but with a VW design it will make it much lighter and the 4x4 wont be needed. Thanks for the input man.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Im a master mechanic so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
a good bov should be small and manueveralbe so if u get i a jam of traffic you will  have a way out. if i could pick one this would be it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/597584/1988-ford-bronco-ii

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
I don't think broncos fit the description you gave bwb.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:12:43 PM »
Bronco II's were junk when they were new! I wouldnt have one if someone gave it to me

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
I don't think broncos fit the description you gave bwb.

A standard Bronco is Bad Ass. It is kind of big and bulky But that bitch can turn on a dime.
I used to be able to whip mine around within like 4 parking spaces.

I had a 91 Ford Bronco Silver Anniversary.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
Love the concept i have been thinking about a one off BOV my self based around the m35a2 multi fuel engine. For your plan I would use the drive train from one of the old VW air cooled bugs. easy to work on parts everywhere and cheap, and its a proven rail design. The rear engine means the front suspenion can set up much more simplie and all your weight in the rear for better traction.

Yes!   [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
If you want a bronco, get one of these and trick it out.

The early broncos are the way to go.  Get a 302 if you can. 

4 wheel positive traction.  They don't get stuck.

Crow

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
now THAT, I love those trucks... Always have those things are like gold here though. :( I'd be better off building a rail-buggy lol

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
i dont know what axles the older broncos came with but the B2 i had was Dana 28 front dana 30 in the rear... in short its a 2 wheel drive vehicle. left front and right rear had power. but i do agree if your going to build a BOV it absolutely must be 4X4.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
i dont know what axles the older broncos came with but the B2 i had was Dana 28 front dana 30 in the rear... in short its a 2 wheel drive vehicle. left front and right rear had power. but i do agree if your going to build a BOV it absolutely must be 4X4.

That's why the B2 blow dick...  Get the older Broncos from the 60's.  Trick 'em out, and you won't be sorry.

Crow

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
The rail buggy idea is basically BOL vehicle. it will be for supply runs/raids It would be put into play ONCE actually at the BOL. As previously stated, it will be a secondary vehicle due to its fuel consumption vs my explorer (I know there are more ideal 4x4s but this is what I COULD get lol) I'll probably be posting a different design tonight.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:45 PM »
if i had to bug out i would use exactly what i use for deer hunting. honda rancher 420 2x4 but in the back im running 25 in bear claws and it will go through anything a 4x4 will garaunteed. btw deer hunting sucked this year  :'(

Crow

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »
Internet is pissing me off this morning... YT will not except my upload atm due to the trickling data.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
why is it so low to the ground? you may bottom out on shit on the way.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »
if i had to bug out i would use exactly what i use for deer hunting. honda rancher 420 2x4 but in the back im running 25 in bear claws and it will go through anything a 4x4 will garaunteed. btw deer hunting sucked this year  :'(

nope...and you can put what ever tires you want on it.. it wont change anything... but one good thing about 2wd is you get stuck closer to home then with 4wd

2007 HONDA RANCHER 420 FLIP/FAIL - MUDDIN & STUCK at Rabbit Creek
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Crow

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »
Oh, forgot the first three times I tried to post this I had a bit more of a discription.

This will be for hitting up ghost towns and neighborhoods for supply runs. If I need the 4x4 I got that with my primary vehicle.
which I will hopefully be upgrading (replacing) soon.

It's also a quick assault/raid/ambush/escape vehicle. if its half the rail buggy of the one i ALMOST bought about a year ago it will smoke any 4x4 through most rural and all urban terrains. Remember guys (BWB) the towns aren't just going to disappear they'll still be there and scouting around for supplies and other things will get a bit costly in your 302/350 4x4.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
Oh, forgot the first three times I tried to post this I had a bit more of a discription.

This will be for hitting up ghost towns and neighborhoods for supply runs. If I need the 4x4 I got that with my primary vehicle.
which I will hopefully be upgrading (replacing) soon.

It's also a quick assault/raid/ambush/escape vehicle. if its half the rail buggy of the one i ALMOST bought about a year ago it will smoke any 4x4 through most rural and all urban terrains. Remember guys (BWB) the towns aren't just going to disappear they'll still be there and scouting around for supplies and other things will get a bit costly in your 302/350 4x4.

yes the roads will still be there but no one will be cleaning them up... id hate to have my transportation taken out by a single cinder block ripping off my oil pan.higher the better... even if its a 4 banger you need 4X4 and some belly clearance. just like all other supplies you have "better to have and not need then need and not have". also having a vehicle that can go offroad may help you escape from guys in 2WD vehicles.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Crow

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
I say again, If I need the 4x4 that will be in the PRIMARY vehicle. the buggy still has off road capabilities just somewhat limited.

I do have a 4x4 already. it is the primary vehicle.

stop shitting on my dreams!  lol

this rail buggy along with most have a nice flat smooth metal bottom for sliding over certain objects.  rail buggies are built for speed I do live in FL the BOL i've picked is overloaded with orange groves and such (most orange groves are in sand) Rail (dune) buggies are ideal for this terrain. I dont need a crazy rock climbing vehicle for I am not fortunate enough to live further north where there are larger forrests and hills/mountains.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
the dude in that video is a idiot, if you go fast youll get stuck, and btw that mud is nothing compared to whats here in louisiana, and the good thing about my fourwheeler is i can drive in any store [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
the dude in that video is a idiot, if you go fast youll get stuck, and btw that mud is nothing compared to whats here in louisiana, and the good thing about my fourwheeler is i can drive in any store

[img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!