Author Topic: Blending In  (Read 2797 times)

hjmoosejaw

Blending In
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
Just out playing in the woods. Didn't go out of my way to blend in, but the ghillie suit did a pretty good job all by itself. I've attached a picture to show you as well. (Click to make bigger!)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:33:04 AM by hjmoosejaw »

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
Re: Blending In
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Did a pretty good job what brand ghillie is it? Kentactic made a nice one he posted up on another forum maybe he can post up some pics of it!

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »
It's called RED ROCK OUTDOOR men's 5 piece ghillie suit. It includes hood, jacket, pants, gun cover and carrying bag. I got it from Gander Mountain on sale for $59.95, it is usually $99.95. I've noticed it on sale a few times since I bought mine, so they may have it on sale often. I couldn't pass it up at that price. I had a few more pics I wanted to post, but they used too many bytes.   

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
shit i have a bunch of burlap sacks and a pair of coveralls ive been meaning to make into a ghillie suit but just keep forgetting.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
Looks really good man, It looks very natural to that terrain even if its not perfectly blending in.

heres the one i made a while back... unfourtunatly i have no pics of it in the field.

this was my first attempt at making my own... its since gotten a lot of in the field beating so it looks more natural. ive also added a little color here and there to better match my terrain. Its no pro snipers ghillie but it will break up my outline and it can blend pretty damn well once vegitation is added.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:22:07 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
The wife, kids and I made a pretty nice one a few years back that turned out pretty good. We sewed a bunch of strips of old camo clothing I had to a bug suit. Got tired of sewing , so we just started using little zip ties to attach the strips to the bug suit. I wore it out turkey hunting a lot and kept snagging it on the brush when I moved through the woods,losing half of the strips. That's one drawback about them. They are better in a stationary spot rather than moving. You could carry them in a bag or game pocket, then easily put them on when needed. You can walk if you're careful. Another thing to use is camo burlap cut into strips, then as they get a little shredded, they get a neat mossy look about them.   P.S. Just noticed your pic with the suit. I must have been typing my reply before you were done with yours. That's pretty neat looking. What kind of material did you use? Pretty wild looking rifle too!   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:36:03 PM by hjmoosejaw »

Ghost

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
Hey Ken, you got a purdy mouth.

;D

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
Here's a good 10 part series on how to make one....

The art of camouflage; part 1
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »
P.S. Just noticed your pic with the suit. I must have been typing my reply before you were done with yours. That's pretty neat looking. What kind of material did you use? Pretty wild looking rifle too!   

its jute string. you can achieve the same look with burlap if you unweave the clothe. its a pain in the ass but its quite affordable...

Mine is just a rookies attempt at a ghillie suit but it works for my needs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:08:30 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:38 AM »
Here's a good 10 part series on how to make one....

The art of camouflage; part 1

I love that series.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

1000meterstare

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
When I was in the ink business I actually studied color theory.  Remember, red and green are opposites.  Yellow and blue are opposites.  Your ghillie was tinted toward the red shade in the photo while the surrounding vegetation is green.  You stood out like a sore thumb.  There are greens that lean to more yellow shades (multicam) and greens that go more to the blue shade.  Reds can be more yellowish in shade or more blue in shade.  Every color also has a brightness (crisp versus dirty or dull) value.  For camo you wanna keep it dull, deceive the eye.   8)

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
As I mentioned above, I wasn't trying to blend in. Just got it and took it out to get an idea of what it looked like in different situations. If I could post other pics, you would see me in the sun, in the shade, behind vegetation,in front of it, standing, sitting, and laying down, trying to see what would work best. I have a bunch of different synthetic leaves and vines and such that I got at a craft store to attach to the suit. I am color blind, but people around me that see the pics do not readily pick me out. I am sitting right there in the open. Had I really been trying to be undetected, I would have used surrounding foliage, shadows, and shapes. I agree that I do need to dull it down a little. (already planned on that) Also, when I do plan to really blend in, I will hide the soul of my shoe that "stood out like a sore thumb".   

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
Just out playing in the woods. Didn't go out of my way to blend in, but the ghillie suit did a pretty good job all by itself. I've attached a picture to show you as well. Enjoy! (Click to make bigger!)
I've always wondered what happened to "Trash Heap" from "Fraggle Rock."
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Yeah! I like that. I think I just named my ghillie.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
Here is the same pic at real distance ( not zoomed). Like I said, I was just experimenting. I wanted to see what the camera saw to get ideas. Later on going through all of the pics, I wanted to be sure what I was looking at was really me. That's why I had to be in the open. If you'll bear with me, maybe I'll use a couple of post to be able to send a few more pics. Click on pic to enlarge. Click on enlarged pic to zoom and move around.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:29:43 PM by hjmoosejaw »

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
Click on pic to enlarge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:20:13 PM by hjmoosejaw »

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »
Click on pic to enlarge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:20:40 PM by hjmoosejaw »

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
Click on pic to enlarge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:21:04 PM by hjmoosejaw »

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Click on pic to enlarge.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:48 AM »
Thanks for posting, MooseJaw. Excellent topic! Welcome to StraightPrep!

If you have a beard, consider donating to Beards for Bros (R). Thanks!

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 01:18:53 AM »
Nope, no beard. I've had a few through the years, but man I just looked like some newlywed Amish outcast. It didn't work for me. It's weird, but I really wouldn't mind looking like the hood part of that ghillie suit, or the mountain guy off to the left. Maybe one of these days when I'm not a machinist anymore. Don't wanna get my face caught up in nothing. HaHa!

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »
Ken is your ghillie heavy? Do you still have a write up anywhere on how you made it?
I want to make another since I used woodland camo as my base and it stands out if the jute separates. 

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
Ken is your ghillie heavy? Do you still have a write up anywhere on how you made it?
I want to make another since I used woodland camo as my base and it stands out if the jute separates.

nope no write up... i pretty much just copied all the other write ups/videos and made my own version based on all of the above. one thing i did was instead of sewing on the netting to the BDU i just used fabric glue/shoe goo...its as strong or stromger then sewing and its way faster. some sew and then glue over that but its not nessicary.

my ghillie weighs about 4lbs dry... it is way too hot to use in the heat of the summer because its way too thick. but in the winter its perfect because you can wear just that with a normal shirt  under and be perfect.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 02:11:23 AM »

nope no write up... i pretty much just copied all the other write ups/videos and made my own version based on all of the above. one thing i did was instead of sewing on the netting to the BDU i just used fabric glue/shoe goo...its as strong or stromger then sewing and its way faster. some sew and then glue over that but its not nessicary.

my ghillie weighs about 4lbs dry... it is way too hot to use in the heat of the summer because its way too thick. but in the winter its perfect because you can wear just that with a normal shirt  under and be perfect.

Yea I sewed mine with floss then used shoe goo haha. I want to find a way to make them more breathable because mine is like a damn sona in any weather. Did you separate the jute into smaller strings, or used it as one thick string?

Have any more pictures of it?

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »

Yea I sewed mine with floss then used shoe goo haha. I want to find a way to make them more breathable because mine is like a damn sona in any weather. Did you separate the jute into smaller strings, or used it as one thick string?

Have any more pictures of it?

i tied on mine in 3-6 piece bundles at a time. if your asking if i tied on full pieces of jute rope no i did not. you can either strip down burlap fabric into the single strands or order the jute already cut and bundled online. ill add some links when i get home im late for work.

this site sells the pre-cut and dyed jute... im sure you can find it much cheaper though.

http://www.ghilliesuitsonline.com/custom-tracker-ghillie-kit.html

This video shows how to break down the burlap fabric... he pulls from the middle, i found pulling from one end is much easier and dosent bunch up the fabric. Starts @ 2:15

How to make a Ghillie Suit 2/9
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:05:20 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...