Author Topic: Stippling, heard of it? Now you have  (Read 37687 times)

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
Stippling, heard of it? Now you have
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:43:35 AM »
I'm not sure you guys are like all the other hip people with instagrams and what not but there are a lot of gun lovers on there posting pictures of their work and one thing I have came across and really intrigued me was this new thing called stippling. You take a soldering iron and literally just poke the thing you are working on over and over. You can control the roughness by how deep you go. Its quite time consuming, makes your eyes go cross eyed and if you have shaky hands like me its kinda aggravating but the extra grip you obtain is insane. I hope there's not a thread on this already, if there is I'm sorry haha.

This is the iron I bought for like $20 at radio shack

I started on my 870 and loved the way it felt so I have my work cut out for me

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: Stippling, heard of it? Now you have
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:40:21 AM »
Yeah, I've never had the nerve to take a soldering iron to my Glock.  Maybe one of theses days...
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:27 AM »
If the gods wanted stippling on a Glock, then Gaston would've done so.  ;)

I can see doing it on easily replaceable parts, but no way I would start poking holes in a polymer-frame handgun with a soldering iron. But that's just me. Have seen some pictures of handgun stippling in Recoil magazine, that looked horrible.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »
This reminds me of the wood working kit I got when I was 10 for Christmas. The difference seems to be the medium - Wood vs. polymer.

Like you wrote, I bet the grip is awesome!

Thanks for posting Gunner!  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »
Not sure if the photos are still available on another thread here or not but I did have the balls to stipple mine and hells yes!  I started out stippling a couple of similarly polymer knives to get the technique down and walla!  Trick is to only go so far, just lightly indent, the "gripping" power comes not from the "holes" put in it but from the tiny ridges created when you make the indent.  And if your ridges turn out to be a lil more sharp than you like, hit it with super fine sandpaper.  So far I have stippled 1 Glock (my own), and about 5 edged weapons (not all mine).  Also I use a $10-20 wood burning kit from Lowe's lol
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
lol! When I saw the word stippling I flashed back to my high school drama classes and the stage make-up technique.  :D 

I thought you could buy different grips for guns.  Wouldn't be easier and safer to just get a textured grip?
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »
Not sure if the photos are still available on another thread here or not but I did have the balls to stipple mine and hells yes!  I started out stippling a couple of similarly polymer knives to get the technique down and walla!  Trick is to only go so far, just lightly indent, the "gripping" power comes not from the "holes" put in it but from the tiny ridges created when you make the indent.  And if your ridges turn out to be a lil more sharp than you like, hit it with super fine sandpaper.  So far I have stippled 1 Glock (my own), and about 5 edged weapons (not all mine).  Also I use a $10-20 wood burning kit from Lowe's lol
I want to buy a glock for this exact reason haha. Some people have their own designs that look amazing but unfortunately I don't have the hands for that. I want to do my Sig grips but that means I have to drag out my duracoat again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:06:27 AM »
lol! When I saw the word stippling I flashed back to my high school drama classes and the stage make-up technique.  :D 

I thought you could buy different grips for guns.  Wouldn't be easier and safer to just get a textured grip?

They have "rough" texture grip take for pistols but it is nothing more than tacticool skateboard grip tape.  By using these and things like the Hogue grips you are adding more to the grip as well, making it bigger and possibly more uncomfortable.

I have used this guys work as an inspiration to also mod the grip for better (more comfortable) finger rests and easier mag release manipulation. www.weaponworx.com

http://www.weaponworx.com/#!untitled/zoom/c1v0g/image11ew
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
It has been a bit tempting to stipple a glock but I know ill hate it after a while, wish I just listened to james yeager and had left it stock.... lol

Chris Costa says to soak your hands in dish soap with a bit of water and then try to shoot your gun. That's what it would be like to have your hands covered in blood.

Maybe the next time someone puts a deer down they can pop off some rounds to try it out...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:24:37 AM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
It has been a bit tempting to stipple a glock but I know ill hate it after a while, wish I just listened to james yeager and had left it stock.... lol

Chris Costa says to soak your hands in dish soap with a bit of water and then try to shoot your gun. That's what it would be like to have your hands covered in blood.

Maybe the next time someone puts a deer down they can pop off some rounds to try it out...

Are you saying the stippling would help in a situation like that? I believe it would, I'm worried about a muddy terrain and the mud filling up the holes making it slick but then again a standard frame would do the same. I like the texture and I like new and it feels new to me so for now I am a fan. Down the road I might think I was stupid but by then I hope I will have new toys.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »
Ya it would certainly help in a bloody hands situation.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
You can always fill the holes with a poly resin and then sand it back down to a too smooth to grip.. er.. grip..

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
You can always fill the holes with a poly resin and then sand it back down to a too smooth to grip.. er.. grip..
You mean like a stock 1911?  Sorry had to go there!  :trolling:
Han shot first!

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
Well I haven't been on here for a while so here's a little addition of mine. Ground down the factory glock "grip", undercut the trigger guard, poked thousands of little holes then cerakoted the frame. I'm rather pleased on the turn out.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
Gunner, are you rolling with Goodyear ATV tires on your "ride?"

Show content
Seriously...Your job on that Glock looks GREAT! Congratulations on the job and thanks for sharing!  :thumbsUp:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:58:55 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
If the gods wanted stippling on a Glock, then Gaston would've done so.   ;)

Please note my relevant tagline below.

Nemo

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:08:34 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
No I have bfg projects on my truck, my dad's friend has something like that on his though. I think they might be coopers but they have that distinct pattern.

I bought the Glock for this very reason. The next step is to fire up my mill and cut into my slide

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »
I just had in my hands this evening a perfectly Stippled handgun.

Show content
Tease

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »
No I have bfg projects on my truck, my dad's friend has something like that on his though. I think they might be coopers but they have that distinct pattern.

I bought the Glock for this very reason. The next step is to fire up my mill and cut into my slide
Not the slide.... please.... lol

Plus once you hack the slide you expose untreated metal to the environment, effect the weight of the slide which will contribute to reliability issues to some degree and... you become a guy with a hacked up glock.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »

Plus once you hack the slide you expose untreated metal to the environment, effect the weight of the slide which will contribute to reliability issues to some degree and... you become a guy with a hacked up glock.

Well I would cerakote the slide of course, I won't let it just rust away. I'm not sure on the reliability aspect. I have seen some slides that have been milled to nothing and they still function. I just want to mill some grooves in the front for extra gripping power since I can't just stipple the slide haha

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »

Well I would cerakote the slide of course, I won't let it just rust away. I'm not sure on the reliability aspect. I have seen some slides that have been milled to nothing and they still function. I just want to mill some grooves in the front for extra gripping power since I can't just stipple the slide haha
I hear you. To each there own. I've never had grip issues on a glock slide personally.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
I hear you. To each there own. I've never had grip issues on a glock slide personally.

Me either but I spent $400 on a mini mill and dammit I want to use it!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Lol
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Stippling definitely does help in muddy, wet, slippery conditions. You can make it as mild or rough as you want depending on how much pressure you apply. I like my stippling to be finer than some so I do not go very deep, but rely upon the pattern to give more grip. 

I have a couple of friends that have had milling done to their slides. This ranges from RMR cuts, to grooving for grip, down to milling of ports into the slide for weight reduction (similar to ZEV or Salient).  If it works for you do it...I have not seen it effect reliability of a Glock or M&P. That said I dont see how it added anything to the firearms in question either, other that aesthetics for the owner.

Offline Gunner

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Looks good man, I wish I had steady enough hands to be able to follow lines.