Author Topic: Solar for Your BOL  (Read 1840 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Solar for Your BOL
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
We are starting a 6 month project in making the cabin 90% solar functioning. I write 90% rather than 100% because at my latitude that is the best we can do when you take December and January into consideration. I am starting this new subject line as it is slightly different than a previous subject line started by pkveazey entitled Solar, Batteries and Other Related Topics - 2017. I hope we can all share our past, present, and future experiences for others to use as a guide.

Plan A
I started out examining our electric usage which is about 12K Watts a day 12 Kw hrs a dayusing 120V power. I contacted a solar company in Massachusetts called The AltE Store to get a quote using an inverter to convert the direct current power to 120V which we could then run all of our 120V appliances and lights on. It seemed the easiest method of meeting our electrical demands.

The other 10% we would need during the times the batteries dipped down to 50% would at first be provided by our electrical co-op or secondly with our propane powered 3500 watt generator.

The quote came back and I was stunned once I reviewed it. It was just south of $14K. OUCH! Now I could pare it down by maybe 40% because I would buy many of the components through my former employer at 20% over cost like: 4/0 cable, batteries, switches, and stuff plus build my own racks for the batteries and then solar panels. So maybe it would cost just north of $8K but still pretty pricey.

Okay now that I have a good starting point from the AltE Store, I can start shopping around to compare prices on components from Plan A.

Plan B
Never to be discouraged I am going to start on Plan B this week which is to not go the inverter route but instead to go completely 24V direct current for all of our electrical needs like: Lights, ceiling fans, refrigerator, entertainment, et cetera. Currently we run our water system cold side with a 12V marine on demand water pump. We can also run the Rinnai on demand water heater too with a flip of a switch which turns on a 12V to 120V inverter.

As I do my research on Plan A and B I will fill the readers from this forum in on which route we are taking, why, and the retailers I am dealing with. Hopefully, some of the forum members have already taken this journey and can make recommendations and suggestions to make my and others who follow down this road just a little bit easier.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:56:34 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Solar for Your BOL
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
you can cut cost on the total KW needed using all LED lighting - available in 12/24/120 volt AC or DC models
-
Lithium batteries are pricey but the cycle life is alot better than lead acid.  if they don't explode...
-
on the generator - if you go with DC in the house, you might want to consider wind.  When the sun is not out during the day, wind is typically present.  if the wind comes from many directions, try out a VAWT.
also on the generator - it isn't easy to find efficient direct DC - and your cable and house wiring will need to be much heavier gauge.   
-

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
If you're going to be doing the work yourself, then you should obtain a copy of the 2017 edition of the National Electrical Code.  The newest edition has extensive information regarding connecting both solar and wind systems.  It can be obtained here: http://catalog.nfpa.org/NFPA-70-National-Electrical-Code-NEC-Softbound-2017-Edition-P16529.aspx  You want your system up to code for insurance companies, and your local code enforcement guy, if you have one.

Sun Electronics (www.sunelec.com) has the best prices on large quantities of solar panels.  If you buy a pallet of them you can really save money.  There is a dealer on eBay that has 100 watt panels for $100.00 shipped, not a bad deal.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
one last item - i have a solar only barn.  it has a 6" ag well and has been running solar direct from a panel, to a holding tank since 2008.  the brand i have is grundfos.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
Great start gents.

@Kbop, I have used wind generators on boats before. The current versions are quite good. I have several friends in the area that have wind and have been very disappointed with the cost Vs. what they get out of them. Apparently the flatter the terrain the better they work. I live in a area called Endless Mountains and boy is it true.

@Jackalope, I will check out Sunelec thx.

Thoughts to this illustrious forum: Go with battery to 120V conversion or stay with 12/24/48V for all utilities?

The benifit with staying with the 120V conversion is that light bulbs, appliances, etc will be easier to find and maintain in a TEOTWAWKI event.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
I'd say since the house is already wired for 120VAC; go with an inverter.  In fact, I'd buy two inverters and put one away.  Then I'd still run at least a couple of DC circuits for back-up.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
...I started out examining our electric usage which is about 12K Watts a day using 120V power...
You might want to edit that to say "12KW hours a day"...to use proper terminology.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
Thank you SK, you are right.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
JM, please let us know what you do  :drool:

i mean  :popcorn:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »
Electric went out AGAIN last night!  :facepalm:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
I just purchased another 100 watt panel, for under $97.00 on an eBay flash sale.  Multiple vendors have 100 watt panels for just under $100.