General Category > D.I.Y.

Should I install my Solar power system today or should I wait until I need it?

(1/4) > >>

pkveazey:
I've had my complete Emergency Solar System for over a year and still haven't installed it. I'm either an Idiot or a Genius. If I install it now and its a year or two before I need it, then I've advertised it to the world that it's there for the stealing and its out in the weather. Every time I think that I should go out there and screw it to the South facing deck, I remember that I've got at least a week's worth of Whole House Generator power. That means that If I really need to install it, I will be able to still use power tools and not have to screw every screw in buy hand. There also is another thing that bothers me. After talking to the people at BattleBorn Batteries, they convinced me that two of their 100 AH Lithium/Iron/Phosphate Batteries was enough to get me through the night, I keep telling myself that I probably should order a third one, just in case. With the world situation getting worse by the hour, I think I might just call them up and order a 3rd battery. It won't be for stronger power, but for more long lasting power. If I lose Grid power and can't get gas for the Generator power, then I'm going to have to really go into conservative mode and turn off a lot of things that I normally run all the time.

Jarine88:
The only downside to waiting is that the weather or other outdoor conditions may not be favorable for the installation when you need it. When the grid is down and you are running a generator and have power tools on your roof, you have made yourself a target.

I understand your desire to wait, but if there is anything you can do shy of installing the panels on the roof, I would do that. I?ll show my ignorance here, but if it is possible to install the brackets without putting up the solar panels, you might consider that. It would reduce your exposure on your roof when the time comes.

Felix:
Interesting quandary.
OTOH, I'm with Pk, don't' advertise capability or assets.
OTOH, I agree that install delay might end up causing a critical "inconvenience".
Split the difference?
 Much of the system infrastructure will be hidden or non-informative to the casual/desperate  observer looking to score from a resource they lack.
After every non-obvious component is in place, the remainder of install will be considerably reduced.
Even the panel racks can be disguised and mistaken for trellises or for clothes drying, etc.

pkveazey:

--- Quote from: Jarine88 on March 07, 2022, 12:10:48 PM ---The only downside to waiting is that the weather or other outdoor conditions may not be favorable for the installation when you need it. When the grid is down and you are running a generator and have power tools on your roof, you have made yourself a target.

I understand your desire to wait, but if there is anything you can do shy of installing the panels on the roof, I would do that. I?ll show my ignorance here, but if it is possible to install the brackets without putting up the solar panels, you might consider that. It would reduce your exposure on your roof when the time comes.

--- End quote ---

Whoa..... No roof installation for me. I just paid $6,500 for a new steel roof and I'm also too old to be climbing up there to clean and maintain a roof installation. Mine will be ground mounted and attached to my Wooden back deck.

pkveazey:
I couldn't stand it any longer. I just called BattleBorn and asked them to call me when they open(They are in Las Vegas time zone) because I want to order a 3rd Battery. I asked the wife what she thought about it and she wanted me to order 2 more. Even though they are having a sale and their $950 batteries are on sale for $799, I said no way. Those batteries are guaranteed for 10 years and I don't expect to live to be 88. I just want the 3rd one just to make sure we can make it through the full night without running out of power. Yes, we will be turning off all high current devices when not needed. Anything that is on a 220 volt 50 amp breaker will not be used. My backfeed will be on a 220 volt 30 amp breaker and my solar panels will only supply 400 watts through a 20 amp charge controller. See, I told you my Solar system was for emergency power. I found several other companies that have what I want for less money but they don't have all the internal protection circuits and a 10 year warrantee. The BattleBorn batteries won't allow charging below 20 degrees F but where I live the daytime temp is almost never below 20 degrees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version