Author Topic: Making a house out of a container  (Read 61237 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Making a house out of a container
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
Yeah TS, you have to watch out for that carvery  :lmfao:

A quick story on our "root cellar" trailer.

Step 1: Find a trailer, buy it and have it delivered. Trick, use a bulldozer to push off trailer. Pay delivery team with
             beer
Step 2: Dig a 12'x50' trench. Plan extra money for equipment breakdowns  :facepalm:
Step 3: Put trailer in trench. Actually this was easy.
Step 4: Answer all of the questions about 'said trailer' in trench from the towns folks. In retrospeck we should  have sold tickets. This would have off-set the expenses of fixing the back-hoe  :facepalm:
Step 5: Installing supports within the trailer to support back filling the trench and covering the trailer
Step 6: Install a passive circulating air system. Think dorade vents
Step 7: Covering the trailer with dirt without collapsing 'said' trailer
Step 8: Seeding the area and planting plants strategically around air intake/outtake stacks.
Step 9: Building a fence on the buried trailer at the steep end so four and two legged critters do no fall over 12'
             drop.

Step 4 is the tough part  ;)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:00:37 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

graynomad

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »
graynomad - thats some beautiful craftsmanship there :) and a lot of sweat - which presumably means blood and tears too - at least it does when I build something :p

So *ahem* the question - how strong is it - in particular the walls?
Someone said that they are easy to get through with an axe? Machete?
When SHTF here the power goes out - so unless someone has a petrol angle grinder - its hand tools only for breaking in.
The only other real threat would be someone with a 4x4 and a tow rope (and pull the door off)
Or they could smoke us out - but thats a different problem.
What might the walls stop in terms of low energy projectiles? I expect its a .22 handgun at best?

And here's a thought - the cans have a strong floor - they are designed to carry a lot of weight (25000kg)  So presumably the floor is more solid than the roof? In that case why not turn the thing upside down for added security? As long as its supported at the corners...

Thanks, it probably looks better in the photos than real life :)

I haven't shot my containers (yet) but my gut feeling is that they would be good for a 22, we have 2" of wood with a gap to the steel so maybe even a 22 from a long gun. But I'm far from being a ballistics expert.

I can't really see an axe getting through, sure it might make a cut but to gain access you need several feet of cut in a U shape, can't see that happening under a week. Machete, don't even think about it unless your local machetes are a lot better than ours.

A person with an angle grinder can get into anything in a few minutes, 30 at the most I reckon. $100 for a generator and $20 for a grinder. And the other threats like fire, 4x4 etc will work as well. Personally I would not like to be caught inside a container without an escape route.

The floors are 32mm (IIRC, certainly a lot thicker than JohnyMac's 3/4" (19mm)) ply and very strong, yes much stronger than the roof. Upside down might work, but they would pool water on the "roof".

It sounds like you have a real different situation to most of us, I can't even imagine how you would protect 30 kids. Tunnels etc can work but if you don't do all the work yourself every man and his dog will know about it.

Offline TrailingSpouse

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply dude :)

I'm glad to hear you think it will be hard to cut into with an axe - I'm guessing you are right - I'll just have to try it out somehow.

I lived on a houseboat in London for a few years - a converted landing craft from WW2 - you couldn't even drill the walls to put a shelf up - some seriously hard steel there!

Its tricky to balance the different bits of advice I'm getting on this:  on the one hand we are being told the only real risk is stray mortars - but on the other hand all our people's properties have to have bars installed on the windows.  I'll make more enquiries - but ultimately even the best advice is only that - advice.  And ultimately you gotta trust your own judgement.

You're right about the tunnel - its gotta be covert to work - and I think the first looters on this site would be concession employees.  Fortunately they would be distracted by several warehouse full of beer nearby!!!

graynomad

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
I lived on a houseboat in London for a few years - a converted landing craft from WW2
I am envious, that's something I'd love to do. I lived in Little Venice for a while and walked along the Regents canal all the time, I would love to live on those canals, but that would not be so great in SHTF days though :)

Offline TrailingSpouse

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »
Regents Canal and Little Venice :D know it well - very pretty.  I lived in Camden for a few years - walked down the canal to work every day.  But the houseboat was in Kingston - much more refined ;)  Good memories rowing to the pubs, misty mornings, pumping out the bilges, all that.

I'd love a yacht one day… I used to sail a lot, and it seems like a good escape plan maybe.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2014, 07:25:50 AM »
Some of the best preppers take to the seas in small boats.

I have many friends who have circumnavigated the globe or are in the process of doing so. A few that just lived on a boat because they can/could (MrsMac & I) and like the lifestyle. 

While working at West Marine, I helped many to outfit their boat so that they will be self sufficient thousands of miles from land and or a friendly West Marine store. One guy (LA Lawyer) had a replacement or repair kit for EVERY thing on his sailboat. It was a bit excessive but what the heck, he and his wife spent A LOT! 

Actually, I am always surprised that more people do not take the route of outfitting a sail or efficient trawler instead of buying land then building the family redoubt on it. Gadget99, is moving in that direction.  :thumbsUp: 

This is not written to change the existing thread. Maybe a new topic in DIY
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
Some of the best preppers take to the seas in small boats.
if you can swing it, it is an interesting option.  mobility can mean life.
I was thinking of bidding on a skipjack in the 80's - a working single masted sail boat common to the Chesapeake bay. 
I now live hours (by highway) inland :)  the boat idea was a bit more than I was ready to chew off then.
Kudos.

graynomad

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
Quick heads up on the container house, it's coming along slowly.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
Looking good GN!  :thumbsup:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
Yeah Graynomad... What Crudos wrote and you rock!

graynomad

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
Thanks guys, yeah I think it's looking pretty good, progress is slow due to me having too many other interests but I'm getting there.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
Yeah I hear ya'...All the other stuff I want to do gets put off too.  :facepalm:

graynomad

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
Progress pics

Shade sail for a carport.

Lounge and kitchen (at rear) almost finished.

Should have a lot more done really but have been sidetracked by other pursuits :), getting really interested in black powder.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »
That lounge looks awesome man!

graynomad

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
Thanks, yeah it's coming along slowly.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
I love Black Powder firearms. Keep in mind that black powder was used in modern firearms up till WW I. Heck even the tried and true 30/30 was originally loaded with BP. Not to mention:

44/40
45/70,80,90 Government
45 Long Colt
38 short Colt
Etcetera.

Then there is always the cap & ball six gun that won the west or the front stuffers that won many a battle. I think I wrote a bunch of stuff on BP rifles somewhere on this site.  ;)

graynomad

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:30 AM »
Yeah I'm really getting hooked on BP. I don't know if it's much good for SHTF but it's great for SLOF (Shit Load Of Fun).

I'm about to buy a BP muzzle loader, almost certainly a Pederseli Tryon Match at this point.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »
Pederseli makes a great rifle.