Author Topic: DIY Sewing  (Read 28828 times)

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
DIY Sewing
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
HELLO ALL, RON L HERE - SERE SURPLUS

Today we will talk about a mundane item, but one that can indeed save your ass, or at least your gear?

I know many folks really don't sew any more and as so many things are, a "Lost Art"? The sewng I'm talking about is not completex or require hard to find or expensive items to perform! The Bulk of the work I am talking about requires only:

1. 1 few different size sewing needles
2. Spool of dental loss, Try and get unwaxes as it applies to the needle easier
3. A pair of Plyers or Multitool
4. Damaged item or item that need re-enforcement or repair!
5. I like to keep my Needles, dental Floss and all in a small water proof container as in pic.

See PICS below and refer to them by nubmer as ya read this post:

First we will address re-enforcement of existing sewed gear that just needs to be stronger:

First Thread the Needle with Dental Floss and Tie a not in the end of the 2 open ends. Pic # 1

Then Located the Holes that exist in the Gear that your sewing or re-enforcing, Always push the needle through the alwready existing holes left by the sewing process, always from the back, so the stiching knot will be hidden! Pic # 2-3

All one then does is follow th existing stitching and make 1 copmplete pass down one side of a part of the item back and forth! Pic # 4-5

Then go back to where ya started and then push you needele into the existing holes that you did'nt cover the first pass and then stitch again, then you can simply do this again as a dounble re-enforcemtn or go over it as many time as one needs to make it as strong as one needs?

This will allow you to cover the other stitching not done last pass this is an intersecting stitch and will hold the parts of the item toget a lot stronger and will alow the item to hold up better and with more weight and pressure on the stitching, see pics

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: DIY Sewing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Wow...Years ago when my wife and I were cruising on our sailboat we had a sewing machine. It was a PFAFF130. Before we left we tried manual and 12 Volt machines but came back to a 120 vlt one. We fixed the 120 vlt problem by buying a small inverter.  I can't tell you how many sails, seat covers, slack inseams I sowed with the 130.   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
Here's my baby...

Husqvarna Mod 10

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
Nice color TCS! Did you paint her?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
No she's just like she was 70 years ago.
The photo doesn't realy do it justice the pain has that shrunken texture to it that is so fashionable on antique hardware. I don't know why they ever stopped doing it.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
One of the best gifts my grandmother ever gave me was the skill set of sewing.  As I have said before I use it very often, sewing new stuff to gear or just reinforcing the stuff I already have.  Hell, Papabear keeps trying to get me to buy a sewing machine so I can make more stuff faster.  Anyone want to invest?  I could make gear for you guys at cost (or maybe just above)  :P
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
I'll pitch in. Let me know.

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
RON L here

Yes, while I do enjoy a Good Sewing machine, I'm ever so amazed at how many folks men and woman, can't run a regular stitch with a needle and thread? Plus WSHTF the sewing machine is gonna feel really heavy in that Alice pack, right? Best to work all the angles and try and manual methiod as well? While we have power , lights heat and all, machines are nice, but one day, it might not be so?

Crow

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
Man I wish I had a pic. My mom does Upholstery work, she has 4 very old machines, 1 very LARGE machine for upholstery.

One of the very old ones is a foot pedal machine, meaning you basically rock your foot in a "revving" motion and it turns a crank shaft making your machine go chugk chugk chugk ahh you guys know the sound. anyways the design is beautiful next time I'm in her direction I'll take a pic for ya guys.

meanwhile heres my fliptop dont mind the clutter I't seen little use due to me needing time to oil and actually find something that needs a bit of stitching.

To you guys that may think its a great Idea to pick one up at a yardsale (your right) most of the time they will seize up. OIL IT and manually turn the hand wheel.. it's just like your weapon keep it clean and oiled and it will last forever!

Offline TheBugOutKid

• Prepper Apprentice
  • REGNAT POPULUS
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:50:56 PM »
Sewing in a survival situation will most definitely be handy.
A few stitches that are pretty easy to learn:
www.pintangle.com/storage/a2010/12BasicStitches.pdf

If you simply CAN'T get it down, superglue is always handy.
:P

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
Super glue is good stuff!   Welcome the SP Icky!  We're gald you found us!  I'm curious as hell so let me direct you to:

http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?topic=1889.msg20792#msg20792

:)

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Colombo

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 10:23:05 PM »
Speedy stitch. 
Boots, leather, canvas, tow straps, load bearing gear, holsters...

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 02:49:06 AM »
Ah.. the venerable Speedy Stitch, what a gem!

I've owned once since first using one in Boy Scouts to craft lord only know what. I've used it for everything efrom patching up work boots to making tool bags and pouches. What a great too!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
 Yupper Colombo & TG! 

Being an ancient mariner, it is also good to have a selection of sail needles a palm, thread and bees wax.
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|5948&id=599234&start=11&results=10&sort=products

I also had a small hard bound book (For get the name) that showed you how to use every stitch needed for different parts of a sail.

I once stitched up a torn 130% Genoa using dental floss on a trip back from Hawaii. Worked flawlessly.   

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
I love that sewing is listed in here.  I think it's a skill overlooked by a lot of preppers.  You can use it for everything from survival (clothes are for more than prettiness and blankets are wonderful when the power's out permanently and winter's coming) to cooking (stitching up that piglet you just stuffed with walnuts and breadcrumbs) to healthcare (good stitches can make the difference between being able to use your hand again or having so much scar tissue you can't bend your fingers). 

I'm lusting after a treadle sewing machine.  I have plenty of hand sewing supplies, but a treadle would really make life easier should my lovely new Singer be rendered useless due to an EMP or something.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
Treadmill sewing machine OR 12 volt sewing machine WPW.

When my wife and I were living the "sea life" on our sailboat, knowing how to sew AND a sewing machine made you a popular person at anchor or at the dock. Many live-a-boards had either a treadmill or 12 volt machine.

This is a great skill to have in a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 01:59:25 AM »
Saw someone mention super glue.  I had a large bag I was using as a CAMS bag but it was cheap and the stitching wasnt keeping up with the weight.  So to prolong its use I sewed up the seams that ripped and reinforced all of them with superglue.  Held together for quite a while till I got a really nice bag for like $100 off lol.

I have used sewing on a lot of my own gear to repair and reinforce.  And while some of it is just not that pretty you know it will hold!  I also actually used sewing as a side bit for store credit repairing items for a local surplus.  (But that stopped after I used all my credit to buy something expensive that the owner was trying to make a serious profit on lol.)

"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!