General Category > D.I.Y.

DIY Sewing

<< < (2/4) > >>

Outonowhere:
One of the best gifts my grandmother ever gave me was the skill set of sewing.  As I have said before I use it very often, sewing new stuff to gear or just reinforcing the stuff I already have.  Hell, Papabear keeps trying to get me to buy a sewing machine so I can make more stuff faster.  Anyone want to invest?  I could make gear for you guys at cost (or maybe just above)  :P

thatGuy:
I'll pitch in. Let me know.

RONSERESURPLUS:
RON L here

Yes, while I do enjoy a Good Sewing machine, I'm ever so amazed at how many folks men and woman, can't run a regular stitch with a needle and thread? Plus WSHTF the sewing machine is gonna feel really heavy in that Alice pack, right? Best to work all the angles and try and manual methiod as well? While we have power , lights heat and all, machines are nice, but one day, it might not be so?

Crow:
Man I wish I had a pic. My mom does Upholstery work, she has 4 very old machines, 1 very LARGE machine for upholstery.

One of the very old ones is a foot pedal machine, meaning you basically rock your foot in a "revving" motion and it turns a crank shaft making your machine go chugk chugk chugk ahh you guys know the sound. anyways the design is beautiful next time I'm in her direction I'll take a pic for ya guys.

meanwhile heres my fliptop dont mind the clutter I't seen little use due to me needing time to oil and actually find something that needs a bit of stitching.

To you guys that may think its a great Idea to pick one up at a yardsale (your right) most of the time they will seize up. OIL IT and manually turn the hand wheel.. it's just like your weapon keep it clean and oiled and it will last forever!

TheBugOutKid:
Sewing in a survival situation will most definitely be handy.
A few stitches that are pretty easy to learn:
www.pintangle.com/storage/a2010/12BasicStitches.pdf

If you simply CAN'T get it down, superglue is always handy.
:P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version