General Category > D.I.Y.

DIY Faraday Cages

<< < (5/5)

JoJo:
  Why not Mylar? One of it's properties is Electric Insulator. I know the only way to test it is by what we don't want to happen.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/polymers/f/What-Is-Mylar.htm

I had to go up to New Jersey to take an extra transponder and I put it in a Mylar bag. There wasn't any charges on this transponder that's what got me thinking.

Kbop:
@JoJo - the antistatic bags JM mentioned are mylar (aka. polyester or PET). 
The extra benefit that has over a potato chip bag (crisps bag for some of our readers) made from mylar - is the sputtered metal coating.  so you get the protection of mylar and the benefit of the Faraday cage from the metal.  This is why some people use mylar food bags for EMP protection.

Jackalope:
I use mylar bags as an extra level of protection.  I put the electronic device within a plastic bag, then put it inside a mylar bag, which is then put inside another plastic bag, and then inside either a garbage can, a metal ammo can, or a metal military surplus night vision goggles case.  This provides not only an extra layer of EMP defense, but it also provides exceptional moisture protection.

It's not DIY, but if you carry electronics gear on your person, or perhaps you have a pace maker, then you might be interested in this apparel: http://www.hecsllc.com/hecs-blocks-em-signal

thedigininja:
I bought 2 mild steel lock boxes on impulse the other day. They were part of an unfinished project and the guy needed to clear up some space so he was letting go of them cheap.

My intention is to bolt them to the back of my truck, which is covered so no worry about rain. The actually did really good work. They both have a very nice "seal" because there are no uneven lines resulting in any gaps around the lid plus they have a steel lip on the inside that go all the way to the top of the lid. This got me thinking that with some insulation these boxes could work very well for me to store a few additional electrical goods in.

My problem comes in with the fact that the steel hasn't been treated at all and I'm actually close enough to the coast that the salt in the air is still enough to eat up steel. These boxes were stored indoors and they are ORANGE. It hasn't actuary penetrated anywhere so I was easily able to just sand them off but how long before they look like fishing nets?

My first instinct was to powder coat them but from speaking to the guys at the workshop that severely decreases the electrical conductivity.

Anybody have any tips on how I could treat the steel to protect it from the evils of oxidation but still maintain the usefulness as a shock box?

Nemo:
Paint.  Good primer and good paint. Clean and shiny before application.

Ought to take care of it.

Nemo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version